Best setup for multiple mounted providers on single HDD

mmkd

Question

Hello,

I am looking for some advice on the best setup.

My system looks like this:

• Physical Machine running in Hetzner
  • Windows Server 2016 Standard Edition
  • 2x 1.5TB HDD
    • 1x HDD - (C:) OS Stuff, and CloudDrive
    • 1x HDD - (D:) SAB, Sick, Couch etc....
  • 4x Google Drives mounted
    • 4x 60GB cache located in the C: drive
  • 1x CloudPool
    • Turns all 4 of the Google Drives into a single mount point
    • Replication factor of 2

Does this sound like a sensible setup or is there something I am missing?

I have followed the following Reddit thread for setup -- https://www.reddit.com/r/PleX/comments/61ppfi/stablebit_clouddrive_plex_and_you_a_guide/

Questions:

• My C: drive has 1TB+ of free space. Would it make sense to increase the size of each CloudDrive cache to say, 100GB or more?
  • With the types of workload created from this setup would it be better to split the CloudDrives over both HDD?
    • My worry with this is running something like SAB or a torrent client on the same disk. Thus the reason for having them on different HDD currently.
  • Or would it make more sense to give CloudDrive its own HDD and move everything the other way around:
    • C: drive = OS, Sab, Sick etc...
    • D: drive just CloudDrive caches

I am seeing significant Read & Writes being hit on the C drive which I can only guess is coming from CloudDrive as nothing else is that IO intensive.

Any pointers would be great!

1 answer to this question

Honestly, I would recommend 3 different "physical" drives. 

One for the OS, one for download temp, and one for the CloudDrive cache. 

This splits up the IO between the drives, so no one drive should get overworked. 

And ... SSDs for the OS and CloudDrive cache, if possible.  Both will benefit from higher IOPS ratings, especially the OS. 

otherwise, the larger the cache is for the drives, the less it will change.  Smaller caches will "cycle data out" more, while a larger cache should keep more of the content static.   But that depends entirely on usage.  With Plex ... you'll likely see a lot of changing activity.   (in bursts, at least).   So, for your use case, larger isn't necessarily better (but wouldn't hurt, either).