Local Drive Filling Up

burrellbloke

Question

I have been using CloudDrive for a few months now and am very impressed with the software.

I have a hosted server with a reasonably small SSD as storage. I have a CloudDrive attached holding about 7tb that is linked to a Google Drive. I have had this configuration for a few months but now I am starting to run out of disk space on my local SSD. The Google Drive has unlimited space and the CloudDrive is configured to have a capacity of 99tb.

I have a local cache of 5gb on the SSD and most of the time the local cache shows that the data left to upload is less than 1gb and will go down to virtually zero if there is no uploading or downloading going on.

I have used Piriform CCleaner to scan my local drive to find out what has been eating up my local SSD space and it tells me that I have about 60gb of cache files in c:\CloudPart.xxxx-xxxx-xxxx\ directory.

Do these cache files have to remain on my local drive forever or will they eventually not be used and remove themself?

The reason I ask the question is that when I set up the hosted server I started to create the CloudDrive and if the cache files will always be on my local SSD I will need to increase my current SSD size of 80gb.

6 answers to this question

The "CloudPart.xxxx" folder is the cache folder.  So, no, you don't want to remove  this folder or modify it. 

As for the 60GB reported ... this may or may not be accurate, as there is "size" and "size on disk" and these values may be completely different (especially for the cache). 

That said, What does the software report as the local cache usage? 

http://stablebit.com/Support/CloudDrive/Manual?Section=Main%20Window

And if you right click on the folder in question, what is the reported "Size on Disk"? 

The software reports the cache as being around 5gb - that is right as that is what I have in my settings.

Piriform CCleaner claims that the total size of the cache files in my c:\Cloudpart.xxxx-xxx-xxx\ directory is 63gb.

Windows reports my c:\ drive as being nearly full which is consistent with the c:\Cloudpart.xxxx-xxx-xxx\ directory being 63gb big.

When I right click on the c:\Cloudpart.xxxx-xxx-xxx\ folder the properties dialogue says that the size of the directory is 99tb which is the total size of my CloudDrive, but it says that the size on disk is 5gb.

odd?

Parts of this are odd, yes. 

Specifically, the folder sizes are not.  We use "Sparse files" for the cache, which allow for a lot of "interesting" things. 

Namely, we can create a "99TB" file that takes up ... well, even 0 bytes on the disk, or however many we need. This is actually how the dynamically expanding VHD files work, as well (and how some torrent clients use temp files). 

So seeing 99TBs as the reported size, but 5GB for "size on disk" is completely normal, and actually expected here. 

As for why CCleaner is reporting this capacity as larger than that, I couldn't tell you.  It's probably doing some sort of computation based on other information. 

As for the disk getting full.... from an elevated command prompt, run "fsutil fsinfo ntfsinfo C:", and post the results here? 

Here are the results. I have added another 20gb of space via the host to give me some more space whilst we try sand work this out.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.3.9600]

© 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Administrator>fsutil fsinfo ntfsinfo c:

NTFS Volume Serial Number :       0x7aa0326ca0322f4f

NTFS Version   :                  3.1

LFS Version    :                  2.0

Number Sectors :                  0x000000000c74f67f

Total Clusters :                  0x00000000018e9ecf

Free Clusters  :                  0x00000000006e1140

Total Reserved :                  0x0000000000000f80

Bytes Per Sector  :               512

Bytes Per Physical Sector :       512

Bytes Per Cluster :               4096

Bytes Per FileRecord Segment    : 1024

Clusters Per FileRecord Segment : 0

Mft Valid Data Length :           0x0000000044900000

Mft Start Lcn  :                  0x00000000000c0000

Mft2 Start Lcn :                  0x0000000000000002

Mft Zone Start :                  0x0000000001277c80

Mft Zone End   :                  0x000000000127df40

Resource Manager Identifier :     DC5B2D66-FB78-11E5-B3A1-F2A133A4BC99

C:\Users\Administrator>

Okay, it looks like there is very little "reserved" space, so that's not the cause here. 

Otherwise, that is very odd. I'm not exactly sure what would be causing the discrepency and such. 

Could you run this then: 

http://dl.covecube.com/Troubleshooter/StableBit.Troubleshooter.exe

Use "2928" as the Contact ID.