How to transfer?

Cobalt503

Question

13 answers to this question

There are a couple of ways to do so, actually. 

The simplest way to do so may be to rent a VPS temporarily.

If you're using a Windows VM, then you could either clone the account over to another account... or you could install StableBit CloudDrive, mount the drive and create a new one on a different provider/account and manually copy the data over. 

Otherwise, detach the drive, download the entire contents of the "StableBit CloudDrive" folder, and ... wait a bit. 

We have a "conversion" utility that will convert an Amazon Cloud Drive folder to the Local Disk Provider. I don't think it would take much to adapt it to Google Drive as well. 

Any currently supported version of Windows should be fine for CloudDrive. (7/2008 server and up)

One thing to note when using the conversion utility (for me anyways) was that after converting I couldn't mount the drive under the local disk provider until I opened the newly created Metadata file with notepad, copied the uid for the disk (since it was now different) and pasted it over the old one in the folder name.

I hate to ask but could I get some steps written out?  

Also I currently have 700GB pending upload so I hope to do this after that finishes but would like to do it before hand if I can get safe clear instructions on how to do so. 

I get step 1 I think (obtain a vps with windows remote access)

Step 2. install cloud drive on VPS and mount my cloud drive to the VPS

Step 3. Copy the folder named "Cloud Drive" from my old google drive and transfer it to my new google drive?   
ORRR Do I want to create the 256TB NEW drive (main goal) and move the files through cloud drive from old HDD to new HDD? Seems Like there should be a faster better way??
Step 4. ?? I'm sorry I'm totally lost.. 

Wouldn't it be much easier to just use Google's built in share function to share all your data from one account to the other (if it's between 2 Google accounts)? It'll be much faster (and potentially cheaper) than using a VPS. Although I can understand if people want to avoid giving Google any indication that the two accounts are linked together in some way. If one account gets shut down for TOS violations, no need to put your other accounts at risk; in which case a VPS is the best route.

But if that isn't an issue, I imagine using Google's share function would be the fastest way and sharing a Cloudpart folder between two accounts should be fine, since the data is at least obfuscated, if it isn't encrypted as well.

1. Detach the drive from your computer.

2. Go to the Google Drive website and log in with Account #1, click on the CloudDrive folder and share it; copy the link.

3. Log out of Account #1 and log into the Gdrive website with Account #2. Copy and paste the link into your browser.

4. Right click on the folders you shared and go to "add to my drive".

5. Go to your Gdrive, and you'll the folders there. They're still owned by Account #1 though; so right click and go to "make a copy".

6. The folder called "Copy of XXX" is now owned by Account #2. So if Account #1 is deleted, or stops sharing the file, you'll still have access to them because you own those folders.

7. Rename the folder from "Copy of XXX" to just "XXX" and follow steps 3 and 4 from this thread (and there's troubleshooting info there too): http://community.covecube.com/index.php?/topic/2762-copying-to-a-second-cloud-provider/?p=19682 

Of course, if you want to make a new drive and transfer your data to it, then using a VPS that allows Windows installs would probably be your best bet.

If you wanted to do that instead, then you'd just need to find a VPS provider that utilizes Windows and pay for that. Once you've done that:

1. Install Stablebit CloudDrive

2. Connect to your old account and to your new account in CloudDrive.

3. Create the 256TB drive on your new account.

4. Attach your old Clouddrive drive.

5. Copy and paste between the two.

Thank you VERY MUCH for a detailed response I think this should get more attention. I'll probably copy paste your directions to reddit threads asking the same questions as I think this is probably the easiest to read and understand directions. 

Thanks again!

@17thspartan - I hadn't been able to get Google Drive to allow me to "Make a Copy" of any folder. Only files. That's with a GMail account, a legit paid GSuites account and a few throwaway "purchased" accounts.

In fact, in my testing this theory a few days before your post (heavy research included) it seemed this was a serious point of contention people have with Google Drive - the inability to make a "copy" of folders. Only files. And using a renamer to get rid of "Copy of " on 511 chunks of one large, 10GB StableBit CloudDrive encrypted file was arduous.  

Is there a hidden setting, or something I'm missing, here? Your method certainly seems like the best - but when I had this same idea and tried to flesh out the procedure, turned out to be a dud. Also couldn't transfer ownership of folders between "organizations". Also frustrating.

Thanks.

-Jason

@17thspartan - I hadn't been able to get Google Drive to allow me to "Make a Copy" of any folder. Only files. That's with a GMail account, a legit paid GSuites account and a few throwaway "purchased" accounts.

In fact, in my testing this theory a few days before your post (heavy research included) it seemed this was a serious point of contention people have with Google Drive - the inability to make a "copy" of folders. Only files. And using a renamer to get rid of "Copy of " on 511 chunks of one large, 10GB StableBit CloudDrive encrypted file was arduous.  

Is there a hidden setting, or something I'm missing, here? Your method certainly seems like the best - but when I had this same idea and tried to flesh out the procedure, turned out to be a dud. Also couldn't transfer ownership of folders between "organizations". Also frustrating.

Thanks.

-Jason

Wow, you weren't kidding. I had used it to make a copy of quite a few files a long while back (going from GSuite to personal GDrive), but I guess I never tried to copy any folders over, or if I did, I forgot that it couldn't be done. It's quite surprising that they wouldn't have that functionality in Google, even after all this time. I just tried copying over one of my CloudDrives (GSuite to personal GDrive) and it was a much larger pain that I thought it would be. 

On top of that, sharing doesn't seem to be working properly between my two accounts. Even though I shared every file and folder, my personal GDrive account can only see about 300 of the shared chunk files. Going to my GSuite, I can see the sharing icon only appears by some of the chunk files. I have enough space in my GDrive, so I wonder if there's a sharing limit between GSuite and personal GDrive accounts.

I just tried to use a Chrome app to copy a shared folder with its directory structure and original filenames intact. It seemed to work just fine, it transferred ownership to me, and all the files and folders kept their original names. Of course it stopped once it got to 300 files, so I can't say if it works after that. It uses a script that runs in Google Sheets which I read about a little earlier and it seems that when it comes to handling large numbers of files, people's experiences tend to vary (with the Google Sheet scripts). Maybe you can try out this, or a similar Chrome app if you need to move files in the future and let us know if it works? 

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/copy-folder/kfbicpdhiofpicipfggljdhjokjblnhl/related?hl=en-US

Thank you VERY MUCH for a detailed response I think this should get more attention. I'll probably copy paste your directions to reddit threads asking the same questions as I think this is probably the easiest to read and understand directions. 

Thanks again!

Seems I jumped the gun @Colbat503 when I suggested using the built in sharing method. Seems this method could use some refining to figure out what works and what doesn't. Sorry about that. 

So to be clear there is no confirmed way to transfer data and save my content without a VPS?

It appears to be the best way, from what I've been reading. There's a thread over in the 'Providers' forum where I laid out a lot of the settings I'm using (and currently tweaking) with Google Cloud Platform (their version of a VPS)

http://community.covecube.com/index.php?/topic/2904-help-moving-65-tb-from-1-gdrive-to-the-same-gdrive/

So to be clear there is no confirmed way to transfer data and save my content without a VPS?

You can download the contents of the "StableBit CloudDrive" folder, and then upload it to the new account. But as outlined above, you need to make sure the drive is detached before doing so, and then you need to delete any and ALL "ChunkIdStorage" folders, as these are no longer valid.  (the ChunkIdStorage is a database that links the Chunk ID's the the unique file IDs on Google Drive). 

You absolutely can do this without a VPS, but it's going to be MUCH slower, hence why the recommendation of a VPS. 

It appears to be the best way, from what I've been reading. There's a thread over in the 'Providers' forum where I laid out a lot of the settings I'm using (and currently tweaking) with Google Cloud Platform (their version of a VPS)

http://community.covecube.com/index.php?/topic/2904-help-moving-65-tb-from-1-gdrive-to-the-same-gdrive/

Specifically, this:

http://community.covecube.com/index.php?/topic/2762-copying-to-a-second-cloud-provider/&do=findComment&comment=19682

But that's a bare outline.  

With Amazon's decision to depart from the space, is this conversion utility capable of converting my Amazon Stablebit folder to Google Drive?

Actually, I've already discussed this with Alex (the Developer).  I've also already opened a ticket for this. 

https://stablebit.com/Admin/IssueAnalysis/27521

Specifically, to add Google Drive and other providers to this utility, as ... it may be necessary (or at least, it's a good idea "just in case").