Removing drives from pool

GlenR

Question

I had stablebit scanner start to report errors on one of my pool drives so I thought I'd take proactive measures and replace it prior to failure. I placed a new drive in the pool and then removed the old drive from the pool so it could be pensioned off.

After the removal process I noticed that there were still a lot of files on the removed drive, including the pool information folder. Is this normal? I was expecting the files on the old drive to be migrated off leaving no files behind once the drive was removed from the pool.

3 answers to this question

That depends entirely on the options being used.

Also, it may leave folders on the drive, but these should be empty, usually. 

As for the pool information folder, do you mean the ".covefs" folder? (if so, it's 3x duplicated, so it should be fine, anyhow). 

And if you used the "force damaged drive removal" option, it will skip problem files, leaving them on the disk. 

I left both the options (Force damaged removal & Duplicate files later) unticked.

The folder it left was PoolPart.37a4d1ae-928b-48f8-b06b-13e27c5142fc and it contains a number of folders/files from the pool. The disk has just full as prior to removal, like the files were copied not moved?

I'm assuming that this is OK to wipe and no data will be lost as it was all copied across to the new one.

Well, check the disk usage. It may be 0 bytes, denoting that just the folder structure was left behind. In this case, this is normal.  

Otherwise, it sounds like it may have left files behind.  In this case, you should be able to copy them back into the pool.  But if everything that was on the disk was duplicated, then you should be fine. StableBit DrivePool will handle it, then.