Detached drive mounts RAW on another Computer

SomeDude

Question

I have a Google Drive running perfectly on my main PC but whenever I mount it on my VM it asks me for a format.

Tried resetting settings and databases and that didnt help.

What else can I do in this case?

The drive mentioned above was first created on the same VM which now displays the drive as raw.

Mounted the drive on a newly created VM and it was working fine.

Looks like information saved locally is conflicting with the drive.

Though no matter how often I reset the settings it doesn't work even after a reinstallation.

8 answers to this question

Created a ReFS volume on Windows 2016 and it mounted fine and I wrote stuff to it - detached the drive mounted on Windows 10 it mounted and everything was fine - I wrote additional files on it and mounted it on Server 2016 again - Showed up as RAW. I guess Windows 10 doesn't support certain ReFS features and downgrades the drive to an earlier version or something?

According to the mountability chart in this link https://gist.github.com/0xbadfca11/da0598e47dd643d933dcWindows 10 upgrades ReFS 3.1 to 3.2 which isn't supported on Server 2016 causing the drive to mount as RAW

Registry to prevent upgrade. It needs to be set before connecting. I do not know how to downgrade anything that was upgraded.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\FileSystem]

"RefsDisableVolumeUpgrade"=dword:00000001

Thanks GreenCat (https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_files/connecting-refs-v231-volume-to-windows-10-build/8bb1cdcb-fbf8-4c52-b763-bb4714613525)

Is the drive formatted as ReFS on the system?  If it's formatted as ReFS, it may not be recognized on the other system properly (depending on the OS versions of both the original and new system). 

Also, have you tried running a CHKDSK pass on the new system, when it shows up as "RAW"? 

The drive (ReFS) was created on a Server 2016 VM and later moved to its host (Windows 10) and moved back afterwards. Been fiddling around for a while. It mounted fine on every system I tried it on even on Windows 7 which then said the ReFS Version was unsupported as expected. I also tried moving ProgramData/Stablebit from host to VM didn't help. Reinstalled and got rid of everything related to Covecube in Registry didn't help either. Compared ChunkID on host and VM both were similar sized so that wasn't the problem.

All I can make of it is that Windows expected the drive to be in the same state as it was when I detached it before mounting it on host, which doesn't really make sense to me because I even removed the driver in registry.

I gave up as I had no idea what else to do and moved everything to a new VM and it's doing fine so far.

Well, the drive showing up as RAW generally indicates that the partition information isn't loading right, or is damaged.  

I know that Windows 10 did have a weird bug that would occasionally cause this to happen on secondary drives with ReFS. I believe it's since been fixed... 

Additionally, did you manually format the drives as ReFS while using the insider ring or the Creator's update?  Or did use the option in StableBit CloudDrive? 

Discovered the same behaviour again in a Google Cloud Compute instance which I created just a few minutes ago.

Mounted the drive in a Server 2016 instance and the drive showed up as RAW again.

No stutter in Explorer it instantly says RAW as if it's not even trying to load anything from the cloud.

At some point it says "Pinning data" for a short period of time but thats it.

Why would this happen?

Is anyone else experiencing this with ReFS drives on Server 2016?

I let Stableblit CloudDrive format the drive to ReFS.