Absolute Manual Duplication Possible on Drivepool 2.x?

580guy

Question

I run WHS 2011 and have been running Drivepool 1.x for some years.  Lately I have had some folder permission problems with folder moves between shares, and the folder that is "moved" is left empty on it's share and I cannot access the folder without a server reboot.  Cannot take ownership, etc. even with Administrator account. Anyhow, after much troubleshooting I decided to try Drivepool 2.x and so far so good.  Still not sure where the system was glitching, maybe a large pool of 21 drives?   But....

I always preferred to run manual duplication on Drivepool 1.x, and also without background I/O priority so when I chose to duplicate, it would do it a full speed. I did this with settings, and also edited the config file for background priority.  Worked great!  I noticed that Drivepool 2.x does it differently, even when NOT selecting Real time duplication under performance.  I read that duplication will be performed later anyway in the manual.  Apparently from time to time Drivepool 2.x does a check and duplicates anyway. Then I found this setting in the Drivepool 2.x Wiki: FileDuplication_AlwaysRunImmediate which I editied to FALSE.  Is this setting still valid in Drivepool 2.x?  I ask because it wasn't in the default config file, so I copied it from the wiki and edited an entry in my config file.  But, it doesn't seem to keep duplication from sensing a file that needs to be duplicated and running a check.

The reason I do not want to do this, is because I duplicate some folders which receive downloads of archive sets, which will be in these folders temporarily until they are checked and extracted, then they are deleted.  But Drivepool is still trying to duplicate these in meantime and wasting disk access and possibly resources.

Is there any way to strictly make duplication manual as in Drivepool 1.x?

6 answers to this question

Some of the settings that you see are beta only values. And I beleive that the "FileDuplication_AlwaysRunImmediate" is one of those settings. 

As for the issue you described, I would recommend a newer beta version anyways, as you may still run into this issue (when deleting/renaming/moving folders, right?) 

http://dl.covecube.com/DrivePoolWindows/beta/download/StableBit.DrivePool_2.2.0.748_x64_BETA.exe

From there, you should be able to take advantage of the newer settings. 

That said, unless real time duplication is disabled, a duplication pass shouldn't occur very often.  Specifically, real time duplication means that all copies of the file are written in parallel, at the same time. So there should be very little duplication occurring "after the fact".  

Thanks Chris.  I will try the 2.x Beta.  The inaccessible folder problem cropped up again even with drivepool 2.x stable last night again.  I am wondering if it has something to do with the number of drives in my pool (21) and the wacky windows permissions (WHS 2011).  May have to upgrade server to 2012 Essentials down to road.  Need more memory and already up to 8GB (max for WHS 2011).  Never had this problem until the last few months.

Still I believe I like drivepool 2.x version better than 1.x.  It's nice to be able to run the interface without waiting to load the Dashboard to access/check it.

I will post results on using the new Beta.

The issue is a weird issue with deletion, actually. 

So it's a known issue that is fixed in the beta versions.   It was ... a really weird issue though. 

* [D] [issue #13443] When a folder delete fails because of files in one pool part folder, roll back the delete on 
                     any other pool parts.

Worse, is that this issue doesn't always happen, so it would feel inconsistent. 

Thanks for all the help, Chris.  I tried out the Beta of 2.x for a week or so, and guess what?  I ended up going back to 1.x.  Even with the possibility of the inaccessible folder problem showing up occasionally again.

My reasons are:

1. Better performance.

With 2.x, I noticed at times activity on the pool would just stop for 5-10 seconds, even though I was running stuff like WinRar extraction while I was watching pool activity,  it would just pause then finally resume.  Never have that happen with 1.x.

2. Purely Manual Folder Duplication

I need this.  I run a drive defragger that runs based on an activity threshold, and when 2.x decides to do a duplication check, it shuts down the defragger due to the disk activity.  Have tried changing the threshold levels in the defragger but it's not what I really what I wish to do.

Additionally, I also burn discs with Imgburn, and even though it has burn proof, the disk activity will again, pause it or delay it's resumption while it waits for  the activity threshold to decrease. 

I am sorry this is the case, as I know I won't be on WHS2011 forever, and will have to go to Drivepool 2.x sometime in the future.  I wish folder duplication could be put in strictly manual operation.  I prefer to either manually tell Drivepool to do a duplication check as per 1.x, or know that duplication will run also once per day.  The data in my duplicated folders doesn't change without my knowledge, except for Client Backups, which are done just prior to the once a day duplication time so that takes care of it for me. Otherwise, if not sure, I just run a duplication pass manually.

Maybe take this a suggestion for future versions of 2.x?  Maybe I am just an oddity in the way I do things!! :P

Again thanks for you help.

1. Well, that's definitely unusual.  Not unheard of, unfortunately, but not something that we've been able to reproduce. 

If you could, enable file tracing and duplicate this. Stop the tracing as soon as it completes.  This may help us to better track down the issue. 

Also, if you're seeing this on a Windows 10 machine, make sure everything is up to date, or ... disable Windows Search. It may fix the issue. 

2. As for the duplication, if real time duplication is enabled, it really shouldn't run duplication passes often.  In fact, in this case, it should only run them when you've changed the duplication status, after remeasuring the pool, and if duplication issues are found (requires user intervention), and that's it, I believe.  If it's running it more often than that ... there may be something else that is going on here, and causing issues. 

Additionally, if you disable real time duplication, it will run a pass at 2AM (IIRC).  Or in the above conditions.