Uploading data to the Cloud from Home, then switch to VPS

danjames9222

Question

Hi,

I have 2 Google Drive accounts with 2 x file duplication in a Drivepool.

I have a load of content I want to upload from home to the cloud.

To save uploading the large files twice, can I mount ONE of these drives at home, upload the content, then detach, reattach to the VPS and have the VPS do the replication without corrupting my drivepool?

7 answers to this question

Well, if you detach the drive, and it's part of a pool, it will show up as missing in StableBit DrivePool. 

However, if you detach both drives, then it won't be an issue, as it will "unmount" the pool after the last disk is "removed" from the system. 

And if you're mounting the CloudDrive disks on the VPS, then there shouldn't be any issues with this. 

Well, if you detach the drive, and it's part of a pool, it will show up as missing in StableBit DrivePool. 

However, if you detach both drives, then it won't be an issue, as it will "unmount" the pool after the last disk is "removed" from the system. 

And if you're mounting the CloudDrive disks on the VPS, then there shouldn't be any issues with this. 

So unmounting from both, mounting one at home, uploading, then detaching and reattaching both drives to the VPS again is ok?

Yup, exactly.

Another idea.

SE - Drive 1

EDU - Drive 2

Drivepool = Drive 1 + 2 x2 file duplication

I am currently uploading to Drive 1. Drive 2 is not mounted anywhere.

Once the upload to Drive 1 is done, to save downloading the data from Drive 1 to upload to Drive 2 on the VPS, can I sync the data from Drive 1 to Drive 2 using the sync feature? Won't this duplicate the drive exactly so it won't have it's own encryption key? What if there is already some data on Drive 2?

Depends on what you mean by the "sync feature".

If you mean StableBit DrivePool's duplication, then yes. 

This will copy the files from one drive to the other. 

And no, this won't duplicate the data exactly.  Because of how NTFS works, the data as you see it may be identical, but the raw disk data will not be.  And this allows for separate encryption keys, though you could use the same one on both. 

Ok well forget that idea.

I've now uploaded around 900GB of content to Drive 1.

I've detached and reattached Drive 1 and 2 to the VPS.

The Drivepool is now balancing but it's only sent around 85GB in the last 8 hours. 

Is this normal with 700Mb up / 500Mb down? It is a VPS but it has an SSD although doesn't seem particularly fast. OS, 2 drive caches are on the same SSD (unavoidable) Are there any settings that can make it quicker?

I would've thought a line with 700Mb up would provide a quicker upload?

Attached is the config I am using at the moment. No prefetch. Anything else I can do?

Min download size = 20MB

Chunk cache size = 100MB

post-5641-0-21850700-1494799743_thumb.png

DrivePool uses a background IO priority, so it may not go very fast. 

This can be changed here: 

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_2.x_Advanced_Settings

Set "FileBalance_BackgroundIO" and "FileDuplication_BackgroundIO" to "False", and reboot.

This should help with the speed.