How do I get a larger than 10tb drive?

Cobalt503

Question

12 answers to this question

When a drive is first created, the last advanced setting, cluster size, dictates maximum drive size.

Any sizes over 10TB you're required to type into the cloud drive size setting box.

If you want the maximum size, simply type 256TB.

Jesus why didn't i think to manually type it in.. g'damnit...halfway to 10TB taking me forever to upload.. now I have to figure out how to get the data that I've already uploaded to the 10tb drive to the new 256tb dr? Or can I resize and type it in manually?

Jesus why didn't i think to manually type it in.. g'damnit...halfway to 10TB taking me forever to upload.. now I have to figure out how to get the data that I've already uploaded to the 10tb drive to the new 256tb dr? Or can I resize and type it in manually?

It's even a drop down text box.  But this is a common issue, so maybe we need to change that? 

As for resizing, that's entirely possible.  

The caveat here ... is that you probably used the default settings when creating the drive. The problem with that is that the default "cluster" (or "allocation unit size") is going to be 4KB, which means that the max volume size supported is 16TBs.   You can add additional partitions (just like with a normal disk, in Disk management), but then you're going to have multiple "drive letters" that show up when mounting the drive.  

Otherwise, you'll need to reformat the drive, and ... reupload everything. Or destroy and recreate a new drive, and ... re-upload everything. 

It's even a drop down text box.  But this is a common issue, so maybe we need to change that? 

I too have noticed this is a common user oversight in the current design.

If I can make a suggestion, I think the windows 7 screen resolution slider (sadly now gone) is a decent case study of how this can be cleanly implemented, by listing only the extremes and common middle options. Obviously using a slider has limitations to fine granularity, so for users not inclined to max out sliders, the box should still be type-able.

I suspect a majority of users would fall into one of these common drive sizes 1, 10, 50, 100, 256, 512GB, or 1, 10, 100, or, 256TB. Probably most heavily dictated by available storage options from each provider.

Well, I'm definitely not a UI expect (though, I'd rather have all the resolutions listed ... but that's just me :P)

Maybe a "Custom" option that leaves the box blank may be a better solution.... 

Either way, I've passed on the feedback to Alex (the Developer), so he can review it. 

Every time I click on resize it just spins the wheel.. Is this because I have pending data to upload? Do I have to wait for all data to finish uploading before I can resize?

Neither, we're waiting on VDS to come back with the resize information.    (similar to when you want to shrink a volume in Disk Management). 

This can take a while to complete. 

Neither, we're waiting on VDS to come back with the resize information.    (similar to when you want to shrink a volume in Disk Management). 

This can take a while to complete. 

More than a couple hours? Should it take a day? More or less than 24 hours?? 

Honestly, I've seen it takes hours before.  But normally, this shouldn't take longer than an hour.   

Really, it should take a few minutes (5-10 minutes at most, usually), but in some cases, it can take much longer.  

Also, if you are having download issues, it can cause this to take longer as well.