Copy Pre-release drive contents to new drive

slip733

Question

hi, i have a pre-release drive with almost 2 tb of stuff on it, i'm starting to have some issues with the drive disconnecting and never reconnecting and not being able to find it in my drive list. I really want to copy the contents to a new drive without having to re-upload if at all possible, because my upload speed is only 10 mbps so it'd take me weeks to re-upload what i already have on there

5 answers to this question

You'll probably have to say what provider you're using.

hi, i have a pre-release drive with almost 2 tb of stuff on it, i'm starting to have some issues with the drive disconnecting and never reconnecting and not being able to find it in my drive list. I really want to copy the contents to a new drive without having to re-upload if at all possible, because my upload speed is only 10 mbps so it'd take me weeks to re-upload what i already have on there

good point, i have google drive, but now i'm having the same problem as the old drive, on the new drive but the old drive isnt giving me the issues, the drive keeps getting disconnected and says cannot mount, about 2 minutes after it successfully mounts

Just to clarify, there is no need to copy the data from a "pre-release" drive to a new drive.  In generally, you should be completely fine using the pre-release drive. 

But that does depend on when the drive was created. 

As for issues with disconnecting, it sounds like you're having issues with the drive in general. More than likely, migrating to a new drive may not fix the issues. 

Have you changed any of the drive's settings? 

seems like everything is A-OK now, don't know what was going on, but everytime i would restart my computer it would say connecting to drive, and never actually connect, then i'd manually shut down the cloud drive service and restart it and then it would work, as of the last 2 reboots to my pc, over the last few days, it has been working, i deleted my new drive and the old drive is working as intended, one more thing though, is there no possible way to use an external hard drive as the cache drive? because i cannot really afford a new internal right now but have plenty of external space, that way i won't have to monitor my uploads as much, cause right now, i can only put about 60 gb to upload, and basically have to babysit it, or ill run out of drive space

Well, it's possible that there was a .NET Framework bug that was patched.  Most of our code uses .NET Framework, so ... 

But if the issue returns, let me know.

As for externals, this is a "hard no".  Specifically, we use the same sort of API calls to the cache that Windows uses for the Page File.  These are highly critical, very sensitive calls.  There are a number of reasons that we use these sort of calls, but basically, it's performance and reliability reasons. 

THat said, removable drives are "finicky" and prone to random disconnects.  It's a known issue with USB drives, and something that is actually "within spec" to occur.  

the problem is that if the drive does drop from the system, and we have pending IO, the only thing that we can really do is BSOD.   So allowing externals is ... problematic, at best.