Cloud Drive Redundancy

bequbed

Question

Hi,

My current setup for Cloud Drive working in conjunction with Google Drive for Plex which is working perfectly. Couldn't have been more happier. 

However, now I would like to have redundancy for the current Google Drive. In order to achieve that, do I just sync or copy the Stablebit Cloud Drive folder on Drive to the new Drive account? 

If I one drive account was to fall over, do I then just simple link the Cloud Drive to with the other account and it will pick up all the files? 

Thanks in advance! 

12 answers to this question

Hi,

My current setup for Cloud Drive working in conjunction with Google Drive for Plex which is working perfectly. Couldn't have been more happier. 

However, now I would like to have redundancy for the current Google Drive. In order to achieve that, do I just sync or copy the Stablebit Cloud Drive folder on Drive to the new Drive account? 

If I one drive account was to fall over, do I then just simple link the Cloud Drive to with the other account and it will pick up all the files? 

Thanks in advance! 

The simplest way to do this is to create a new drive and sync them.  DrivePool isn't necessary, but if you want to keep the contents up to date and synced, then pooling the drives and enabling duplication is going to be incredibly simple. :)

And yes, you can use multiple accounts here, if you want. (ideally). 

yes, would also like to know how to do this....would be super great.

i could be wrong, but what if you use drivepool and add the 2nd gdrive account? and then duplicate?

This is exactly how you should be handling redundancy if you would like it. If you copy the data yourself to a secondary account, it is an entirely manual process and cloud drive will not auto mount the drive in the new location if your main one fails.

Instead, attach multiple drives using CloudDrive to the different Accounts/Providers and created one drive using DrivePool. Use the duplication options in DrivePool to turn on duplication on the entire volume so the data is always stored in both locations. This way if one drive fails or is having technical issues, your users on Plex won't even be able to tell there is an issue because you will still be able to read from the DrivePool drive until the second drive come online.

Personally I have to set to the following for redundancy:

3 Cloud Drives as following:

2x Google Cloud Unlimited Drives

1x Amazon Cloud Drive

Each one mounted as a 100 TB volume and added 1 on DrivePool Drive. I have the pooled drive set at 3x redundancy on the entire volume. You just have to remember, the more cloud drives you have, the larger the upload pipe you need because when you add a file to the pool, it will begin uploading to all three drives. You need to make sure you still have upload left for anyone watching Plex.

Thanks,

Desani

Thanks Desani, 

Looks like Drive Pool is the best way to go for redundancy and most important of all, hassle free. Software does all the work.

Bandwidth wise I have no issues since I just signed up for 1Gbit plan. 

This is exactly how you should be handling redundancy if you would like it. If you copy the data yourself to a secondary account, it is an entirely manual process and cloud drive will not auto mount the drive in the new location if your main one fails.

Instead, attach multiple drives using CloudDrive to the different Accounts/Providers and created one drive using DrivePool. Use the duplication options in DrivePool to turn on duplication on the entire volume so the data is always stored in both locations. This way if one drive fails or is having technical issues, your users on Plex won't even be able to tell there is an issue because you will still be able to read from the DrivePool drive until the second drive come online.

Personally I have to set to the following for redundancy:

3 Cloud Drives as following:

2x Google Cloud Unlimited Drives

1x Amazon Cloud Drive

Each one mounted as a 100 TB volume and added 1 on DrivePool Drive. I have the pooled drive set at 3x redundancy on the entire volume. You just have to remember, the more cloud drives you have, the larger the upload pipe you need because when you add a file to the pool, it will begin uploading to all three drives. You need to make sure you still have upload left for anyone watching Plex.

Thanks,

Desani

In regards to the actual process, how would you go on about adding a new drive and pooling it with an existing drive? 

I already have one Cloud Drive with 1TB of files so far which Plex uses. 

In regards to the actual process, how would you go on about adding a new drive and pooling it with an existing drive? 

did you buy DrivePool?

I would do the following in this case:

1. Add both drives to a new drive pool with a duplication of x2 on the entire pool. The drive that has the 1 tb of data already on it will show up as having 1 tb on un-duplicated data in the pool.

2. In windows turn on hidden folders and move the 1 tb of data you already have on the drive into the new hidden pool-part folder with whatever new structure you want.

3. DrivePool should now recolonize that there is data on one volume and not the other that needs to be duplicated and you can "Re-measure Duplication" then what will happen is DrivePool will start coping the 1 TB of existing data over to the second CloudDrive. During this process all of the data will be accessible through the DrivePool drive, even though it is currently only on 1 drive.

4. Point Plex at the new library location and let it scan for the media on the DrivePool Drive

One thing to note: When I setup a new drive like this and add it to a pool with existing data, I like to set the cashed size to a fixed amount (non-expanding) so that DivePool does not attempt to fill my entire drive when copying over the 1 tb of data.

did you buy DrivePool?

I will start the 30 day trial this weekend and start testing it out. Once the trial is over, will purchase the software. 

I would do the following in this case:

1. Add both drives to a new drive pool with a duplication of x2 on the entire pool. The drive that has the 1 tb of data already on it will show up as having 1 tb on un-duplicated data in the pool.

2. In windows turn on hidden folders and move the 1 tb of data you already have on the drive into the new hidden pool-part folder with whatever new structure you want.

3. DrivePool should now recolonize that there is data on one volume and not the other that needs to be duplicated and you can "Re-measure Duplication" then what will happen is DrivePool will start coping the 1 TB of existing data over to the second CloudDrive. During this process all of the data will be accessible through the DrivePool drive, even though it is currently only on 1 drive.

4. Point Plex at the new library location and let it scan for the media on the DrivePool Drive

One thing to note: When I setup a new drive like this and add it to a pool with existing data, I like to set the cashed size to a fixed amount (non-expanding) so that DivePool does not attempt to fill my entire drive when copying over the 1 tb of data.

Thanks for your reply Deshani, I will try this out in the weekend and see how I get on. 

The simplest way to do this is to create a new drive and sync them.  DrivePool isn't necessary, but if you want to keep the contents up to date and synced, then pooling the drives and enabling duplication is going to be incredibly simple. :)

And yes, you can use multiple accounts here, if you want. (ideally). 

Do i simply copy and paste the folders from existing drive to the new Google Drive account once I have created the it on Cloud Drive?