unable to get back security on a file

saitoh183

Question

RBFUhA.jpg

I had corruption on a db and when i tried to restore, it kept failing. I then checked the security on the restore db and saw the above. Sometimes this happens on other files and i just wait awhile and the security comes back on its own but that doesnt seem to be the case this time.

11 answers to this question

Okay, then this may not be directly related to StableBit DrivePool. then. 

Either way, are you able to reliably reproduce the issue, or does it happen seemingly randomly? 

Also, does this happen when deleting folders? Or otherwise cleaning up stuff on the disk? 

Also, does this only happen on the drives in on the Syba controller? 

Also, it may be a good idea to test the internal beta build, as there are a number of fixes that may address this (such as the folder deletion). 

http://dl.covecube.com/DrivePoolWindows/beta/download/StableBit.DrivePool_2.2.0.742_x64_BETA.exe

What version of StableBit DrivePool are you using? 

And could you enable file system logging, and then check the permissions on the file, stop logging and upload the logs? 

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_2.x_Log_Collection

This may catch the issue "in flight" so we can see what is going on here. 

Also, are you able to access the permissions on the file on the underlying disk? 

Okay, then this may not be directly related to StableBit DrivePool. then.

Either way, are you able to reliably reproduce the issue, or does it happen seemingly randomly?

Also, does this happen when deleting folders? Or otherwise cleaning up stuff on the disk?

Also, does this only happen on the drives in on the Syba controller?

Also, it may be a good idea to test the internal beta build, as there are a number of fixes that may address this (such as the folder deletion).

http://dl.covecube.com/DrivePoolWindows/beta/download/StableBit.DrivePool_2.2.0.742_x64_BETA.exe

It does happen randomly but then it comes back on its own but not this time. It always happens on files and i havent noticed if it happens on a drive connected to the Syba controller. I often notice the problem when I'm moving stuff around and I get a error.

Ah, okay.  There are a couple of deletion/renaming issues.  Both are fixed in the Public beta build (2.2.0.651), if you want to use that instead.  

The specific issues are: 

* [D] [issue #16674] When renaming a file, if the target of a rename is another folder, then issue delete / create 

notifications, not rename old / rename new.
* [D] [issue #13443] When a folder delete fails because of files in one pool part folder, roll back the delete on 
                     any other pool parts.

One of these could absolutely cause this sort of issue (especially the second one). 

If it's the issue that I think it is (eg, the second one), then rebooting the system (or even taking the disk offline and then back online) will fix the issue.  

If it is this issue, it's a ... weird issue with how Windows and NTFS handles deleting files. And it gets in this kind of "stuck" state. 

Also, upgrading the software would prevent it from happening in the future. 

If it's the issue that I think it is (eg, the second one), then rebooting the system (or even taking the disk offline and then back online) will fix the issue.  

If it is this issue, it's a ... weird issue with how Windows and NTFS handles deleting files. And it gets in this kind of "stuck" state. 

Also, upgrading the software would prevent it from happening in the future. 

reboot and update fixed the issue with the file.

Thanks !