What are threads?

Cobalt503

Question

Upload and download threads? What are they what should they be at and how best should my settings be configured? 

I read that a guy with 1gb up/down is using 10 threads... I thought threads were CPU threads based on cores available.. but I don't get it can someone explain to me what they are? 

For the record my connection is approx 150down and approx 30up (will be higher when i get a new modem) what should my settings be? 

Also can someone explain the prefetch time thing? it's currently at 30 sec? Is that how long it holds the data for? or?? 

I'm using this for plex and I need to be able to stream from the drive.. plz any info can help as right now I'm getting some severe stutters.

3 answers to this question

Well "threads" is an incredibly complex concept....

But basically, each thread runs a separate operation, in parallel.  So 10 threads means that there are 10 uploads (and/or downloads) that are occurring in parallel.  

More threads mean more requests at once. This *can* be good, but it can also cause issues (too many can be seen as a denial of service attack by the provider, or oversaturate your network connection).  

For your settings, the default may be fine. If you want to change it, slowing increase it. 

As for the prefetch: 

• Prefetch Trigger: This is the amount of data that needs to be read sequentially in order to trigger the prefetcher.
  • Prefetch Forward: Once prefetching is triggered, this is the amount of data that will be pre-downloaded ahead of the current read request.
  • Prefetch Time Window: This controls how quickly the sequential read requests have to occur in order to trigger the prefetcher.
As for holding the data, I believe that it keeps in the cache, until the system needs the space. 

If you're using Plex, then I would recommend a larger "forward" size, as this will grab more data.  Also, I'd recommend re-attaching the drive and increasing the "minimum download size". 

Also, I'd recommend re-attaching the drive and increasing the "minimum download size". 

Sorry but how do I do this and also I started with 10tb but I'd like to increase as I need at least 16 how do I do this? Do HAVE to use drive pool? and if so am I able to drive pool encrypted cloud drives?

The "minimum download size" is an advanced setting for the drive.  And is under that "section" when mounting the drive.   That said, this doesn't affect the drive's size at all, but the unit size that we use for transferring the data to and from the provider. 

As for the drive size, you can resize it under "Drive Options".  However, if you already created the drive, and have formatted it with the default options, you will be limited to 16TBs for the first partition. You can make the disk larger, but you'll either need to reformat the drive, or use multiple partitions.

As for "have to use DrivePool". No, purely optional. But if you're creating multiple partitions on the drive, it may make it easier.