covefs.sys causing random reboots - Windows 10

chamelious

Question

Been pulling my hair out with this. Sometimes it'll be a few hours, sometimes it can be 3-4 days, but sooner or later my machine will reboot without warning.

4 times out of 5 theres no dump, but other times its always the same:

The minidump shows this:

"On Mon 24/04/2017 21:18:57 your computer crashed

crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\042417-10515-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: covefs.sys (covefs+0x27DDC)
Bugcheck code: 0x1000008E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000047, 0xFFFFFFFF81CAF7AD, 0xFFFFFFFF88CEA398, 0x0)
Error: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode program generated an exception which the error handler did not catch.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: covefs.sys .
Google query: covefs.sys KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M"

And memory.dmp shows this:

"On Mon 24/04/2017 21:18:57 your computer crashed

crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\memory.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrpamp.exe (nt!KeBugCheckEx+0x0)
Bugcheck code: 0x8E (0xFFFFFFFFC0000047, 0xFFFFFFFF81CAF7AD, 0xFFFFFFFF88CEA398, 0x0)
Error: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a kernel-mode application generated an exception that the error handler did not catch.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: ntkrpamp.exe .
Google query: ntkrpamp.exe KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED"

Can anyone help please?!

All HDs connected to the system have been vigorously and repeatedly checked. Ram has had memtest run for 4 hours. PSU is fine....system was fine before drivepool. 

Network I/O boost is UNCHECKED on drivepool. 

042417-10515-01.zip

19 answers to this question

Results from fltmc:

Filter Name                     Num Instances    Altitude    Frame
------------------------------  -------------  ------------  -----
wcnfs                                   0       409900         0
MBAMProtector                           6       328800         0
WdFilter                                6       328010         0
storqosflt                              0       244000         0
wcifs                                   1       189900         0
FileCrypt                               0       141100         0
luafv                                   1       135000         0
npsvctrig                               1        46000         0
FileInfo                                6        45000         0
Wof                                     4        40700         0

I get this warning in event viewer on every startup. I understand its pretty normal in W10 and probably not related, though i've tried every fix i could find for it anyway:

"The driver \Driver\WudfRd failed to load for the device SWD\WPDBUSENUM\{8ffa07ba-1680-11e7-924c-001d6054fdd9}#0000000002004400." - event ID 219

Memory.dmp file:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jrka7tv9d3xvvhl/MEMORY.zip?dl=0

Well, the CoveFS.sys is definitely the pool driver. 

This is for StableBit DrivePool 2.1.1.561, correct? 

If so, could you try this version: 

http://dl.covecube.com/DrivePoolWindows/beta/download/StableBit.DrivePool_2.2.0.746_x64_BETA.exe

http://dl.covecube.com/DrivePoolWindows/beta/download/StableBit.DrivePool_2.2.0.746_x86_BETA.exe

This version addresses a number of issues, including some that can cause BSODs. 

As for the "WUDF" error, this is normal, and harmless. And the linked version may actually fix this issue as well. 

Thanks, unfortunately i did have another crash this morning, so i've installed the beta, and will see how i get on with that.

I've also set my BT client to download to a folder on my C: drive (not part of the pool) and then move it to the pool after, so i think this will probably rule out the BT client directly causing this issue. 

Well, the CoveFS.sys is definitely the pool driver. 

This is for StableBit DrivePool 2.1.1.561, correct? 

If so, could you try this version: 

http://dl.covecube.com/DrivePoolWindows/beta/download/StableBit.DrivePool_2.2.0.746_x64_BETA.exe

http://dl.covecube.com/DrivePoolWindows/beta/download/StableBit.DrivePool_2.2.0.746_x86_BETA.exe

This version addresses a number of issues, including some that can cause BSODs. 

As for the "WUDF" error, this is normal, and harmless. And the linked version may actually fix this issue as well. 

I hate to be that guy who posts in someone else's thread rather than starting my own, but I too just recently started having the exact same issues so I figured I'd tack on my two bits.

Now, to be fair, I'm running the Fast Ring Insider Build of Windows 10, specifically Windows 10 Version 1703 Build 16179.rs_prerelease.170414-1642 so that might have something to do with it.

I've had 3 BSOD's today alone (they're actually Green Screens of Death due to running Insider Preview Builds, but I digress) all pointing to covefs.sys as the culprit.

If I manually disable the StableBit DrivePool service from my services.msc list, I don't experience the crashes, so that really points things in the right direction.

Here's what I'm going to do though:

• I'll update DrivePool from 2.2.676 to the latest beta, in this case 2.2.0.746, and report back with my results.
  • I should also check my event log as @chamelious has done to make sure nothing weird is going on, so I'll do that next reboot.
  • Tonight I'm going to install Insider Build 16188.1000 as well, so we'll see how that goes with the updated DrivePool software.

Attached is a zip containing my Minidump files and other diagnostic information as collected by the DM_log_collector tool from tenforums.com, just in case you wanted to take a look.

KRYSTALOGI-2017-05-05_222545_43.zip

@Erik,

Looks like the process that triggered this was dropbox, in your case.

That said, troubleshooting Insider builds is problematic, at best, because the issue may be resolved in the next build (we've seen happen a few times, actually). 

However, if this is still occurring on the 2.2.0.746 build, then let me know and grab the dumps again. 

@Erik,

Looks like the process that triggered this was dropbox, in your case.

That said, troubleshooting Insider builds is problematic, at best, because the issue may be resolved in the next build (we've seen happen a few times, actually). 

However, if this is still occurring on the 2.2.0.746 build, then let me know and grab the dumps again. 

Hey @Christopher, thanks for looking into my bugcheck - I know Insider Builds can be rather difficult to diagnose because things change a lot.

The Event Viewer does show a lot of errors related to DbxSvc, so I'm with you there. It seems to be a DropBox conflict of some kind.

• Failed to connect to the driver: (-2147024894) The system cannot find the file specified.
  • Failed to open file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\fd50d22e-5d8d-473d-85e0-c35cbd90b141.dmp, error: (2) The system cannot find the file specified.
  • Failed to get ANSI path for file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\fd50d22e-5d8d-473d-85e0-c35cbd90b141.dmp

I rebooted to install Windows 10 Version 1703 Build 16188.rs_prerelease.170430-1928 after disabling the DrivePool service, just in case. It installed fine.

After logging in, I went to check this forum thread, and enabled the DrivePool service. DropBox was running at the time too. I BSOD'd twice.

Since then, I have done the following:

• Enabled the DrivePool service in services.msc and checked to see that it's running via the DrivePool app
  • Closed and completely exited DropBox from the system tray, and disabled the DbxSvc from services.msc

I've also attached the 2 additional bugchecks in another ZIP from lunchtime today, just in case they help shed some light on the situation.

If you don't mind my asking, what revealed it was DropBox in my bugchecks?

I want to head on over to their support community and let them know about the issue so they can fix it, as I use DropBox for work, so I kind of need it... :P

KRYSTALOGI-2017-05-06_124604_46.zip

Well, what "fingered" the dropbox service is actually "windbg", as it indicated that the responsible process was likely "dropbox.exe". 

That said, this isn't always accurate, or it may be much more involved that "just that process", but in my experience, it *is* a good indicator.  

More than likely, it maybe that the process is performing some sort of file system command that we don't support.  As dropbox is one of the companies implementing "streaming" for the files, it may actually be related to that. 

You may be able to use "BlueScreenView" or "WhoCrashed" to take a look at the crash information yourself, if you want. 

I've flagged this issue for Alex (the Developer), so he can take a look at it.

https://stablebit.com/Admin/IssueAnalysis/27465

And he's better at reading the dumps than I, which means he can get a better idea of what has happened. 

As for the minidump stuff, I suspect that the folder path stuff is a non-issue (or more likely a timing issue), and may be safe to ignore. 

As for disabling the server, that doesn't do "enough". The driver is still running and working, so it could still cause this issue to occur.  Uninstalling the software is the only "real" way to disable it.  That or setting the pooled disks as "offline", as that should trigger the service to remove the pool drive. 

I actually have WinDBG installed and attempted to analyze the dumpfiles myself, but only see covefs.sys in my analysis.

Then again, bugchecks are a little out of my territory, and I know they're not always correct, so I'll leave it to Alex to take a look at.

Just for giggles, I moved my DropBox folder to the only internal HDD not in a DrivePool disk pool and I get no bluescreens, so this further confirms the suspicion that DropBox is making calls that DrivePool doesn't like.

Anywho, I'll keep an eye on this thread when you guys have an update or a beta release for me to test. No need to reply until then though. :) Thanks!

FYI this happened again today to me. 

Utorrent no longer installed, have a different BT client but it wasn't running at the time. 

I do also have a dropbox client installed on my system, though i haven't noticed any mention of it on the bugchecks or logs. 

Will install the beta listed above if you can provide x86....Nm i changed the link and grabbed the exe. 

Going to try removing dropbox also, as its not essential that it runs on this machine

Well, sorry for not posting the 32 bit link.  I generally don't, as most people are using the 64 bit version.  Which is a good idea when you have the option, as it is a bit more secure. 

But for reference: 

http://dl.covecube.com/DrivePoolWindows/beta/download/StableBit.DrivePool_2.2.0.747_x86_BETA.exe

Hey Christopher,

Just wanted to confirm that whatever Alex changed in the 2.2.0.747 BETA update fixed the Blue Screen of Death conflict with DropBox.

Awesome job guys, will keep you posted if anything else changes on the insider builds.

Erik