Windows 8.1 = Network Recycle Bin for Deletes! (YES!)

JazJon

Question

I always wished when we delete things on network shares it would go to some sort of network recycle bin.

Well it seems Microsoft has finally made it happen. Check this out............

Using my laptop on Windows 8.1, I just deleted a bunch of videos on my DrivePool server (also on Windows 8.1)

Instead of the usual warning about deleting things permanently, it said they were going into the recycle bin! (amazing, finally!)

If you look at my Recycle Bin properties you'll see the 30TB

DYbgophl.png

FTbsSL2l.png
PL9nSQX.png

Here's what I was working on by the way

4 answers to this question

If the folder was a user folder mapped to a network share, then this is normal. (eg, moving *your* video folder to "\\SERVER\Videos" would do this).

That, and it may be a feature of File History. I'm not sure. I really have avoided Windows 8.1. Lots of issues.

I'd like to know more about it, seems to be working the way I want it done.   I've only had one time in the last year where I accidentally deleted something.  I had to use Recuva to scan each hard drive one at a time, took quite a while to pieces things back together but I did. 

I was having Wonky issues on Windows 8 the last month.  After upgrading to Windows 8.1 everything is rock solid. (both Laptop, HTPC, and MEDIA Server)

I can see your hesitation of upgrading from 7 to 8, but 8.1 is good to go now.   I'm in the process of upgrading my friends/family etc.  

I'm not entirely sure how your stuff is setup, ... so... I can't comment on specifics.

But like I said, any "user folders" that are moved to network locations (either automatically or manually) get the recycle bin.

And I'm not sure about the file history feature. I've avoided using it, as I don't really need nor want it.

And as for WIndows 8.... I've not had any issues, other than the start menu. And I've seen some reports that VSS may be broken in 8.1 (or not working correctly 100%). So the best bet is to make sure you have a backup before upgrading (but that's been standard practice for .. forever :P)