Amazon Cloud Drive: HTTP Status 429 errors

greendk

Question

I have a problem with my connection from StableBit to Amazon Cloud Drive: "

StableBit CloudeDrive is just telling me that "This drive cannot be mounted" "There was an error communication with the storage provider. HTTP Status 429"

what can I do?

Edit: 

I've edited the title and pinned the thread, because this is coming up a lot.  

The "tl;dr:" of this is that there isn't anything we can do, this is a problem with Amazon. And we are not the only company that is seeing this issue. It's happening across the board. 

-Christopher (Drashna), Tech Support

Edited by Christopher (Drashna)
Pinning

15 answers to this question

The 429 response code is a throttling response.  

This means that there isn't anything we can really do.   We do automatically retry when we get these sort of errors, and we back off exponentially (eg, wait longer and longer to retry).  

But basically, Amazon's servers are actively refusing to return the data that we're requesting.  There is no fix or work around here, because this is ENTIRELY a server side issue.  It's not an issue with our software (especially as we're not the only ones experiencing this issue. RCLONE and other cloud utilites are seeing this with Amazon Cloud Drive.  

THis is likely due to Amazon's servers getting "hammered" and them not able to keep up with the requests.  Which means this is an infrastructure issue.... or "a consequence of using a consumer grade cloud provider" (which is a shitty response....). 

This has happened a couple of times in the last couple months, and usually this clears up in a couple of days.  It's a shitty situation, as "waiting" is a horrible response.  But we're completely at Amazon's mercy here.  

It's issues like this, is why the Amazon Cloud Drive provider is considered an experimental provider.   

Hopefully, if they re-approve us for production status, this will stop occurring, but I seriously doubt that (RCLONE and the like *are* approved, IIRC).  

Hopefully, if they re-approve us for production status, this will stop occurring, but I seriously doubt that (RCLONE and the like *are* approved, IIRC).  

Is the approval still in a pending status with Amazon or is there not even an open request at this point and you will try to get approval some time in the future?

Yes it came up again.. Thank god

Yup, it takes a day or two, but that's what 

Is the approval still in a pending status with Amazon or is there not even an open request at this point and you will try to get approval some time in the future?

Still pending.  Alex has tried contacting Amazon again, recently. But I don't expect that to go any better. 

That said, looking into this more, we're definitely not the only ones affected, so this is a server side issue. Not one with our status. Unfortunately. 

Has this issue been fixed? I knew Stablebit used an OAuth server to avoid what ACD/ACD_CLI did.

There isn't anything to "fix" here.  The 429 errors are a server side issue, and a bandwidth throttling related error.

429 Too Many Requests (RFC 6585 )

The user has sent too many requests in a given amount of time. Intended for use with rate-limiting schemes.[52]

As for ACD_CLI, the issue is that they had ... essentially publically published their API/security profile keys, due to the open source nature of the product.  We don't have that issue, as we are "closed source".

Additionally, the ability to create new drives on Amazon (Cloud) Drive has been removed on the release version, as we were never re-approved for production use.

There isn't anything to "fix" here.  The 429 errors are a server side issue, and a bandwidth throttling related error.

As for ACD_CLI, the issue is that they had ... essentially publically published their API/security profile keys, due to the open source nature of the product.  We don't have that issue, as we are "closed source".

Additionally, the ability to create new drives on Amazon (Cloud) Drive has been removed on the release version, as we were never re-approved for production use.

This totally screws me now :( My 10TB Drive showed up, and then i closed the application, pulled it back up, and it was gone. Kind of frustrating. Are you still trying to get re-approved?

Well, it shouldn't be "gone". The data should still be there, and we're still authorized (we haven't been banned). 

Refreshing may "help". 

That said, we have a new beta that includes an ACD conversion tool, so that if you download the entire "CloudPart" folder from the provider, you can convert it to the "local disk" provider to recover it. 

And yes, we are.  A month or so before the release, we actually contacted Amazon again, about getting re-approved for production use. Not a single reply from them.