File System Damaged. Next Steps?

Digitalink2008

Question

Hello,

I've just received my first "File System Damaged" notification. The notification comes on a WD Red 6TB drive that is part of a 2 drive pool. Its a storage drive not my OS drive. I wanted to ask what the proper next step is because I do not see any sort of remediation function in the UI.

Thanks much,

D.

6 answers to this question

Ok, so I found the UI element that lets me attempt the repair. However, it continually fails its task. I used Process Explorer to look for open handles to the drive in question and found none. I then decided to run CHKDSK manually. An initial pass with the command "chkdsk d:\" reported a bitmap error and suggested a "chkdsk d:\ /scan". I then ran that command and it completed reporting that the file system was clean. No errors. I then set the filesystem to unchecked in Stablebit Scanner. I initiated another file system check and was then again notified of a damaged file system once again. Not sure if I'm missing something here or what.

D

Do not run "/scan".   This actually skips the bitmap errors, for the sake of keeping the disk online.

You need to run "chkdsk d: /f", in this case, rather than "/scan". This will identify and fix the issues.

Ok, so I found the UI element that lets me attempt the repair. However, it continually fails its task. I used Process Explorer to look for open handles to the drive in question and found none. I then decided to run CHKDSK manually. An initial pass with the command "chkdsk d:\" reported a bitmap error and suggested a "chkdsk d:\ /scan". I then ran that command and it completed reporting that the file system was clean. No errors. I then set the filesystem to unchecked in Stablebit Scanner. I initiated another file system check and was then again notified of a damaged file system once again. Not sure if I'm missing something here or what.

D