Drivepool shows CoveCubeCoveFs disk (to add).

MvL

Question

Hi,

I'm in a testing phase at the moment, and I encountered a issue. When I go to my disk management cosole then I see a unallocated drive disk/pool. Also when accessing the disk management console I recieve a pop-up to inizialize this disk/pool. I'm certain it's showing a pool because it's 24 TB large. When I open Stablebit DrivePool I have the possibility to add a CoveCubeCoveFs disk. When I do this one of my pools disappear. I'm not sure what's going on, but I'm not familiar with this software yet. So it seems a good idea to me to ask for some help. If you need some more information please let me know...

Edit: I made 2 screenshots. Do you see twice disk 8 in the disk management console and the COVECUBECoveFs Pool/disk to add?

uaOV2T1.jpg

387HMB0.jpg

10 answers to this question

Hi Drashna,

I rebooted the server today after work, and guess the issue is gone! Not sure why now the issue resolve it self, and yesterday not. Maybe you can explain.

Thanks for your input! You also helped me a couple of times on the We Got Served Forums. I'm a old Windows Home Server beta tester, but got disapoined in Microsoft after killing WHS and the release of Windows 8. I'm considering coming back to Windows after several Linux years. I have now a install of Windows 10 on a server. I think Stablebit is a interesting solution for SMR drives. I have 7 Seagate Archive drives. Also considering to try a server version of Windows, but the biggest issue I find it a bit expensive.

Yeah, ti's a VDS issue (virtual disk service). 

In some cases, especially when there are a lot of disks, it can cause drives to show up multiple times.   It is a known issue... with Windows.  But it's not very common.

The reason that it fixed it the second time, may just be a timing issue.

As for WHS, yeah, I totally understand.  (check my signature).  

As for Windows Server, check out the "Essentials" version. It's the continuation of the Home Server code.  Specifically, the WHS2011 based code. It has the dashboard, connector, backups, website stuff, etc.   But yeah, it's expensive. 

But the joke was always that we got WHS for a steal. 

Thanks Drashna!

Yeah, I'm going to try Essentials, but I have some USB creations problems (see my other post). That price was awesome, and one of the reasons I think it was populair. These days people are buying a Synology or a Qnap. I find 400 Euro a bit expensive especialy in a home situation. A price of 200 - 250 Euro seems beter to me. Also I must see if Terry has a E-book about Server Essentials 2016...

Yeah, the price was very nice, and as I said, it was a steal.   WHS2011 was a nice price, but it was too high without a storage solution.  If it had shipped at a lower price point, it would have done better.  Or if it used a file based storage solution still..... 

And yeah, Synology and QNAP are nice, "turn key" solutions, and have a very low bar for usage.   But yeah, they're heavily overpriced (you pay for the convenience).  

As for Terry, if he doesn't, most of the 2012R2 Essentials stuff still applies to 2016. So if you have that, you can use that.  :) 

Also, Microsoft does have a six month (180 day) eval copy of Essentials, that can be activated with a retail/OEM license. So, it may be worth heading to Technet to trial it. 

Also head to "tinkertry"s website, as the "skip domain join" stuff should still work, and allow you to use Essentials just like WHS. :)

As for the USB issue, responding in that thread. 

Well, you can use these NAS' as storage, and then configure Plex/Emby/etc to use them for the storage, so you have a nice, simple NAS, and a powerful streaming box.  

Not the best solution, but it is an alternative.  

Otherwise, yeah, you're paying a LOT to get a decent pre-built box, if you want to do this "all in one". 

I now have also seperated Plex from my Server Essentials 2016 install. I'm running Plex on a CentOS install toghter with Plexpy. I must admit my "IT" hobby is a bit out of hand.  :D

I also bought the book that Terry wrote about Essentials 2016. I do not own any book/documentation of server/essentials 2016 or older. So I thought it can't hurt to read some stuff about Server Essentials 2016.