Removing a disk with data migration

JasonC

Question

I have a disk that...well I can't decide if it's going bad or what.  It's being weird, so for now, I've decided to pull it from the pool so I can run more tests on it alone.

Anyway, I'm not clear on what the procedure is to have DrivePool eject a desk from the pool, but migrating all data off it first. 

Some forum posts make it sound like I should use the scanner for this, but that sorta doesn't make sense to me since not everyone has that tool.

Some forum posts make it sound like the Remove option will do it, I'm just not clear which combination of checkboxes or if I just leave them clear, triggers the data migration. It sounds like leaving them clear.

Some forum posts make it sound like I should actually use one of the other balancers to force the data off? I just realized I think that the Scanner configured the disk to move all data off, the slider is set all the way back. So...presumably if I force a re-balance it will happen(I'm going to try that).  I would still like a little explanation of my questions just to help with clarity for me.

Thanks!

7 answers to this question

I am actually not clear on this myself. I use the remove option from DP itself and leave the boxes cleared. I do increase the I/O priority by pressing the (small) arrows to the right of the Pool organisation bar.

IIUC, it is not the fastest way to do it but so far it has always worked for me.

Just click remove and dont check any of the options

Good to know, thanks.  

It ended up rebalancing mostly did the trick.  I say mostly, because in the end, it took initiating a re-balance several times to get most of the data off.  Ultimately, 2 files, which were the two that initially made me look into the disk for problems, it didn't seem to want to move. Or be able to.  Whichever.  I ended up manually moving them, with no issue, to clear the disk off.

I have a disk that...well I can't decide if it's going bad or what.  It's being weird, so for now, I've decided to pull it from the pool so I can run more tests on it alone.

Anyway, I'm not clear on what the procedure is to have DrivePool eject a desk from the pool, but migrating all data off it first. 

Some forum posts make it sound like I should use the scanner for this, but that sorta doesn't make sense to me since not everyone has that tool.

Some forum posts make it sound like the Remove option will do it, I'm just not clear which combination of checkboxes or if I just leave them clear, triggers the data migration. It sounds like leaving them clear.

Some forum posts make it sound like I should actually use one of the other balancers to force the data off? I just realized I think that the Scanner configured the disk to move all data off, the slider is set all the way back. So...presumably if I force a re-balance it will happen(I'm going to try that).  I would still like a little explanation of my questions just to help with clarity for me.

Thanks!

The default "remove" option will set the pool as read only during the removal (can take hours), and attempt to move all of the data off of the drive. 

If this runs into errors, it will abort the removal, leaving the disk in the pool. 

There is the "force damaged disk removal", this skips problem files and continues on, rather than erroring out and stopping. This will leave the problem files in the "PoolPart" folder on the disk in question. 

"Duplicate Data Later" does pretty much what it sounds like. It skips duplicated data, and removes just the unique (unduplicated) data from the drive. 

The remaining data will reside in the PoolPart" folder. 

As the balancer, the "Drive Usage Limiter" balancer can be used to clear out the contents of a disk that is in the pool, that you want to remove, but don't want to put the pool into the read only mode.  Basically, it's great for prepping the drive for removal from the pool.

Additionally, if the data on the drive is duplicated only (eg, no unduplicated data), you could just pull the disk, remove the now missing disk from the UI and let StableBit DrivePool reduplicate the data, as needed.

Additionally, if the data on the drive is duplicated only (eg, no unduplicated data), you could just pull the disk, remove the now missing disk from the UI and let StableBit DrivePool reduplicate the data, as needed.

Ok, thanks for the clairfication!

So, it follows then that also means that "Duplicate Data Later" doesn't cause any behavior change if you don't have any duplicated regions specified.