DP data showing as "Other"

rbutler81

Question

Hi there, having a little issue.

post-2941-0-43966800-1491492216_thumb.png

Recently when balancing has been triggered, not all of the new files added to the SSD are being moved off into the rest of the pool.

See that gray area I've circled on the SSD drive? That's data that's part of the Pool. I'm not sure why it's showing as "Other" and why it isn't being moved off the SSD.

I'm using the SSD Optimizer and it's been working fine until the last few days.

Help!

Thanks

R

18 answers to this question

Yeah, I tried that - by doing a re-measure I was able to recover about 3GB of the data.. but about 9GB remained as "other".

I removed the SSD from the pool, this forced it to empty the drive - which it did.

Then I re-added the SSD and set it up the same way (SSD Optimizer, etc... )

Don't think I should of had to do that though.

The file may have been in use at the time of the first balancing (being uploaded to my Google Drive by a 3rd party app). No, I don't have duplication turned on for that particular folder - although I do have it turned on for a few other folders in the pool.

At the time I tried manually re-balancing the file was not being used by any other process.

The 3rd party app is InSync, it keeps designated local folders in sync with the same folders in your Google Drive. The file that was being shown as "other" was a media file that InSync was uploading. While it was uploading the balancer trigger may have prompted a re-balancing (trying to copy files off the SSD, onto the rest of the pool).

So this morning two more media files were added to my pool. Before they were added I changed the balancing trigger to only balance at 5am everyday as to not try to balance while a file was being used.

Both files that were added, were added to my SSD drive as "Other" - they were then uploaded by my 3rd party app.

I just tried re-measuring to no success... files are remaining as "Other".

Could you install the latest beta version? there are a number of improvements to the measuring system, additional feedback when there are issues, and better logging when errors occur.  Also, there are a bunch of bug fixes, so this may fix the issue outright. 

http://dl.covecube.com/DrivePoolWindows/beta/download/StableBit.DrivePool_2.2.0.746_x64_BETA.exe

Ok, so I installed it and rebooted... when DP loaded again it automatically started to remeasure.

When it was finished it seems that it measured the SSD drive correctly. Nothing stored in the pool on the SSD was allocated as "Other".

I'll keep an eye on this over the next little while as more files get added.

Thanks.

I am thinking I also need to try the BETA.  I just purchased drivepool and am using it in perhaps a unique way.  I have DrivePool pooling 4 physical drives.  On the pool I have created multiple 1TB VHDX virtual Hard Drives.  These I am presenting from the server as iSCSI over Ethernet LUNS to a Hyper-V cluster where they are carved up for VMs.

Everything was great, but I thought perhaps the TOTAL size of the pool was misrepresented (I did math wrong).  Anyway, I hit remeasure on the pool and now MOST of my data shows as other.  There is really not much data outside of the pool on these disks... but it says 7TB is now OTHER when it was showing them as Unduplicated Pool Data before.

Being that they are VHDX files that are being used by VMs at a different layer..they are IN USE... is that why the re-measure is not working correctly against the pool data?

...perhaps a new feature for you.  Live Storage migration.  It could copy the file (in this case a VHDX) to an alternate disk in the pool.  Then, it can direct calls to the new file once its copied successfully and delete the original on the failing (or otherwise identified) disk.  Could be implemented specifically for virtual hard drive file types or any file type.

If the files are always in use, then yeah, it may never properly measure the files.  

As for balancing, it wouldn't happen anyways, as the files would be locked, and we couldn't move the files.

As for a sort of "live migration".... this is incredibly complex and absolutely "not easy".   It may be something t hat we could consider for the future, but for the most part, "no, it's not going to happen".  

The problem is that if the files are open, it means that they can be written to.  They're locked to prevent anything from changing the contents, for a reason.  Sure, we could copy the file elsewhere, but ... what happens if the files are written to while they're being copied/moved?  We'd have to either recopy the file or determine exactly what was changed, and then ... well, copy just that change.   If the file is being written to a LOT, such as with a log file or database, this means that the file would NEVER be completed.    And yes, we could redirect the writes to the new file, but we'd have to copy the unmodified data. And this is incredibly complex to manage properly.