Copying to a second cloud provider

olli972

Question

I've been using the trial for about 2 weeks now and I will most likely end up getting a license. I have an unlimited google drive account, and as a safety measure I got a second one in case I ever lose access to the first one. I used a seedbox to rclone copy my stablebit clouddrive data over to my new google drive, since it would take my connection days to do that. Is there anyway to make a new clouddrive connect to my second google drive account and read the data that was copied over? 

19 answers to this question

Yeah, you can just log into the account.  (you can log into multiple accounts of the same type).  It should show up "as normal".  However, you will want to delete the "Chunk-ID" folder ( I beleive it was). Specifically, the Chunk ID database is unique to the account, and won't work on a cloned folder. 

I made a second clouddrive using my second google account, but it doesn't read the stablebit clouddrive folder that i copied over from my original google cloud account. where is the chunk-id folder? would deleting that let the drive read the preexisting folder that i copied over?

If you already logged in, you may need to refresh the account. 

And this needs to be in the same relative folder (eg, StableBit CloudDrive\CloudPart-xxxx) on each account. 

And just to clarify, this needs to be the same account type. 

As for the Chunk ID, it should be:

StableBit CloudDrive\CloudPart-xxxxx\xxxxx-data-ChunkIdStorage

Delete this folder.  There should be three other folders here, but do not touch those folders. 

whats the verdict? is there an easier way? is this even possible yet?

I dont mean to be a debbie downer but doesn't your above method make stablebit encrypted data super insecure? eg. anyone can access the data if they just removed that folder (chunk -id)?

whats the verdict? is there an easier way? is this even possible yet?

I dont mean to be a debbie downer but doesn't your above method make stablebit encrypted data super insecure? eg. anyone can access the data if they just removed that folder (chunk -id)?

There isn't really an easy way.  At best, this may be problematic, because it is essentially cloning the drive. 

As for "super insecure", no.  It's still raw disk data. They wouldn't be able to read the contents.  And if it was encrypted, you would still need to unlock the drive once it's mounted. 

The proper order for this should be: 
  1. Detach the cloud drive.
  2. Copy the CloudPart... folder to the other account.
  3. Delete the ...ChunkIdStorage subfolder (under the CloudPart) before reattaching the cloud drive.
  4. Attach the cloud drive from the new account.
If you do run into any errors, try doing this: 
  1. Delete the ...ChunkIdStorage subfolder (under the CloudPart) in Google Drive.
  2. Reset all StableBit CloudDrive settings (check reset databases).
  3. Wait until that completes.
  4. Reauthorize your cloud drive.
  5. It should now mount normally.

If you're still having issues, then let me know. 

The proper order for this should be: 
  1. Detach the cloud drive.
  2. Copy the CloudPart... folder to the other account.
  3. Delete the ...ChunkIdStorage subfolder (under the CloudPart) before reattaching the cloud drive.
  4. Attach the cloud drive from the new account.
If you do run into any errors, try doing this: 
  1. Delete the ...ChunkIdStorage subfolder (under the CloudPart) in Google Drive.
  2. Reset all StableBit CloudDrive settings (check reset databases).
  3. Wait until that completes.
  4. Reauthorize your cloud drive.
  5. It should now mount normally.

If you're still having issues, then let me know. 

Drashna,

This appears to be instructions on how to clone (encrypted?) data from one provider to another, and have just the new drive (i.e. intent is to destroy old drive and replace with new drive but same data on different provider.)

Is there a way to duplicate encrypted data across two providers (i.e. two Gdrives) and mount both drives?

I'm in similar situation as olli972. I..E. I uploaded encrypted data to my CloudDrive on GDrive. Rather than upload all the data again to a second Gdrive, I'd prefer to move it using a cloud to cloud service (much faster than downloading and reuploading.)

I tried creating the new drive with the same passphrase, but it still creates a new salt. So not sure if the new CloudDrive would be able to read the encrypted data duplicated to it from the old drive.

If this is a completely different question/request, I'll move to a new topic. However it seems that is what the OP wanted; not moving data and creating a new, single drive but duplicating data so it's available as a backup and accessible as a second drive. Just not sure how the CloudDrive encryption affects that.

The first part is yes, how to "clone" a drive to a new account.  Since we're copying the raw blocks, this works for encrypted or non-encrypted data.  It doesn't matter if it's encrypted, here. 

However, you will have identical drives on the different accounts (and windows may have issues if both are mounted on the same system. 

A cloud to cloud service would work fine, as long as you get the entire contents of the folder, and remove that ChunkIDStorage folder. 

The second part should help if there are issues with mounting the drive.

I'm able to copy the files over and remount (attach) the drive from one provider *or* the other. It shows up as an option to attach under both GDrive providers.

However, as soon as I attach the drive from either one, the option to attach the duplicate files from the other provider disappears as well.

Yes, this is even with the ChunkIDStorage folder removed.

I'll have to ask, but I'm 99% sure that this is normal and expected in this case.

Because both drives are using the same GUID for the ID, you're only going to be able to mount one of them on the system. If you log in with another system, you should be able to mount it.

Otherwise, you'd need to rename the folder and all of the files, and even then, I'm not sure that will work. 

i've tried doing that twice and it doesn't mount the copied folder. it still creates a new, empty clouddrive. this was my backup incase my ebay account was ever disabled, and it was recently. 

This sounds bad.. we're all freaking out about our data would be nice to have some solid tutorials on relocating / cloning. 

i've tried doing that twice and it doesn't mount the copied folder. it still creates a new, empty clouddrive. this was my backup incase my ebay account was ever disabled, and it was recently. 

If you're cloning the entire "CloudPart-xxxxx" folder and all of it's sub-directories.... the drive shouldn't show up empty.  Unless the drive was empty at the time you cloned it....

Because copying the folder, and more specifically, the chunks, is ... literally performing a block based clone of the drive.