DrivePool + Scanner - Questions about data evacuation (unreadable sectors)

vfsrecycle_kid

Question

Hi folks,

I've got a drive in a pool that has un-readable sectors (GLOBAL 2x DUPLICATION)

Unreadable Sectors Found on "NAS". One or more disks are damaged and have data on them that is unreadable:
  • ST8000AS0002-1NA17Z - 510 KB unreadable (1019 sectors) - The rest of the disk is still being scanned
    • Model: [snip]
    • Serial number: [snip]

As of right now, it seems Scanner is reporting 4838830 unreadable sectors (2.31GB) after finishing its scan.

I have the option to start a File scan, but I have not started it yet.

---

Meanwhile, on the DrivePool side:

The affected disk has been limited:

There is a red arrow offering: "New file placement limit: 0.00GB"

There is a blue arrow offering: "Duplicated target for re-balancing (-2.04TB)"

A few other drives in the pool have a blue arrow "Duplicated target for rebalancing (XXGB)"

2.2.0.744 BETA x64 Win10

I'm a little confused as to the order I should be doing things here...

DrivePool reports "Duplicating..." and then returns an error related to 2 files, giving me the option to Duplicate. This process seems to repeat.

Looking at this thread:

http://community.covecube.com/index.php?/topic/829-pool-going-to-hell/

I'm still a little confused as to the order of operations:

1. Drive has sectors unreadable

2. DrivePool has a new 0.00GB file placement limit

3. DrivePool attempting to evacuate data (is this done in my case? How do I interpret that negative number?)

4. Run file scan to "repair data"

5. Pull out failing drive

6. RMA failing drive

Basically the heart of my question is: what do I do now? And when is it safe to pull out the drive and begin RMA?

edit: I clicked file scan and it just says the MBR is damaged. Regardless of the issue (I suppose I can see if this is a real drive failure or something a reboot will fix) - has my data been evacuated?

edit1.5: Running chkdsk complained about the disk being RAW - rebooting the machine fixed that issue - so I wonder if this just a false positive or some weird state everything was in.

edit2 (newest): If I can trust that my 2x Duplication works, is it fair to assume that I can simply pull out the drive, let DrivePool re-balance everything with the remaining drives in the pool (there is enough space) - implying that I am temporarily in a state of no duplication for all the files on the drive I just pulled out?

If that is the case, I'm fine with just formatting the pulled-out drive, and investigating further if I need to RMA it - or just throw it back in the pool as a fresh drive.

3 answers to this question

"edit2 (newest): If I can trust that my 2x Duplication works, is it fair to assume that I can simply pull out the drive, let DrivePool re-balance everything with the remaining drives in the pool (there is enough space) - implying that I am temporarily in a state of no duplication for all the files on the drive I just pulled out?"

Yes, it is fair to assume that with global duplication enabled you can just pull the drive. If you want DrivePool to double-check, tell it to Remove the drive (tick both "Duplicate files later" and "Force damaged drive removal") first.

Yes, it is fair to assume that with global duplication enabled you can just pull the drive. If you want DrivePool to double-check, tell it to Remove the drive (tick both "Duplicate files later" and "Force damaged drive removal") first.

Thanks for the clarification. Just didn't want to make a mistake.

• My DrivePool (minus the one drive) is now balancing. Around 40% done so I will let that finish overnight.
  • I'm running chkdsk /B on the potentially problematic drive now, that will also run overnight.

Could very well be possible there's nothing wrong with the drive and was simply some weird state the OS was in. Fingers crossed.

I've got chkdsk /B running on the drive inside another machine.

Edit.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>chkdsk /B G:
The type of the file system is NTFS.

Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure ...
90368 file records processed.
File verification completed.
8435 large file records processed.
0 bad file records processed.

Stage 2: Examining file name linkage ...
101516 index entries processed.
Index verification completed.
0 unindexed files scanned.
0 unindexed files recovered to lost and found.

Stage 3: Examining security descriptors ...
Security descriptor verification completed.
5574 data files processed.

Stage 4: Looking for bad clusters in user file data ...
 90352 files processed.
File data verification completed.

Stage 5: Looking for bad, free clusters ...
88217500 free clusters processed.
Free space verification is complete.

Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems.
No further action is required.

7630755 MB total disk space.
   2116876 MB in 76319 files.
    110656 KB in 5576 indexes.
         0 KB in bad sectors.
    181567 KB in use by the system.
     65536 KB occupied by the log file.
   5513593 MB available on disk.

65536 bytes in each allocation unit.
 122092095 total allocation units on disk.
  88217500 allocation units available on disk.

HOnestly, I'd immediately pull the disk (physically), and replace the drive.  

As for the pool itself, and the balancing, this is because it's detecting issues during the surface scan and is trying to evacuate the contents of the drive. 

As for the duplication issue ... that is likely because it's having issues even reading the files from the drive.  And you're probably getting "duplication mismatch" warnings. 

That said, if the disk is checking out now ... I'd still recommend testing it, further.  Run the "burst test" option (right click on the drive in StableBit Scanner), and let that run overnight or longer.