CloudDrive performs recovery every time I restart (and setup advice)

weinreich

Question

I have been using CloudDrive for two weeks as a trial and I am actually very happy with the solution. I have set up two Google accounts and have made a DrivePool between the two that mirrors everything.

So setup is:

C: SSD 500GB - Main drive - not used with CloudDrive or DrivePool

X: HDD 3TB - Secondary drive - used for data before moved to DrivePool

E: Google Drive 1 - 100TB (not used directly - located on normal HDD X:)

F: Google Drive 2 - 100TB (not used directly - located on normal HDD X:)

G: DrivePool (mirrors everything to E: and F:)

Now I have learned that I should probably have placed E and F on seperate drives. X is already holding data so when I move from X to G I am actually reading from X and writing back to X twice which is pretty slow. It is sometimes faster to copy to C first and then from C to G. If I find a solution to my problems I am going to buy another drive (maybe two) and place CloudDrives on seperate drives.

BUT my question is: Every time I start my computer CloudDrive starts performing recovery. It claims that the previous shut down was not completed safely or that it has detected consistency issues with the drive. 

Am I doing something wrong? It takes SOOO long (I have a 50/10mbps connection). I really want to purchase your product but not if this is going to happen every time I start up.

11 answers to this question

I have been using CloudDrive for two weeks as a trial and I am actually very happy with the solution. I have set up two Google accounts and have made a DrivePool between the two that mirrors everything.

So setup is:

Now I have learned that I should probably have placed E and F on seperate drives. X is already holding data so when I move from X to G I am actually reading from X and writing back to X twice which is pretty slow. It is sometimes faster to copy to C first and then from C to G. If I find a solution to my problems I am going to buy another drive (maybe two) and place CloudDrives on seperate drives.

BUT my question is: Every time I start my computer CloudDrive starts performing recovery. It claims that the previous shut down was not completed safely or that it has detected consistency issues with the drive. 

Am I doing something wrong? It takes SOOO long (I have a 50/10mbps connection). I really want to purchase your product but not if this is going to happen every time I start up.

What version are you on?

When you reboot/shutdown, do you press "shutdown immediatly" when Windows says there are applications that are preventing you from shutting down?

I know that CloudDrive can take a while to shut down, but if CloudDrive is allowed to cleanly shut down then it won't enter recovery when you start the computer up again.

I don't shut down the machine that is running CloudDrive often, but I had to last night when I upgraded DrivePool from 2.1 to 2.2.  It didn't cleanly shutdown, and event logs say that CloudDrive didn't respond to the shutdown attempt.  I guess windows shutdown anyway (after 20 minutes?).  Now I'm sitting here going on ~15 hours of "Recovery".  The drive in inaccessible, and I've got a bunch of failing processes because it wants to copy stuff to that drive and they are failing (obviously).  Hopefully the recovery won't take that much longer, but 15 hours seems a bit excessive.

I don't shut down the machine that is running CloudDrive often, but I had to last night when I upgraded DrivePool from 2.1 to 2.2.  It didn't cleanly shutdown, and event logs say that CloudDrive didn't respond to the shutdown attempt.  I guess windows shutdown anyway (after 20 minutes?).  Now I'm sitting here going on ~15 hours of "Recovery".  The drive in inaccessible, and I've got a bunch of failing processes because it wants to copy stuff to that drive and they are failing (obviously).  Hopefully the recovery won't take that much longer, but 15 hours seems a bit excessive.

The amount of time it takes CloudDrive to go through the recovery process depends on how large your cache is for that CloudDrive (default is 1gb, I think), how much was queued to upload when it was shut down, and how fast your internet speed is.

When it enters recovery, it basically uploads everything that was in the cache and anything that was waiting to upload. So if you have a cache size of 2gb, and you had 3gb of stuff that was waiting to upload, then when CloudDrive goes through recovery, it'll have to upload a total of 5gb worth of data. So if your internet connection is capable of uploading at 100mbps, it should take you around 10 minutes to finish up recovery. If your connection is 10mbps upload, it'll take you a little over an hour.

So if you look at the CloudDrive app, it'll say how much it needs to upload to complete recovery, then you can figure out how much time is remaining by factoring in your connection speed.

So setup is:

That is definitely not normal. 

Could you enable tracing, shut down the system and then run the StableBit Troubleshooter?

http://dl.covecube.com/Troubleshooter/StableBit.Troubleshooter.exe

I'm using the latest version (1.0.0.854) and encounter the same issue. What's is the proper way to shutdown / reboot my computer when there is data still waiting to be uploaded? (>1TB so I can't wait it out).

Doing perfectly normal shutdown results in the same "This drive is performing recovery" issue which takes hours and hours after reboot.

Thanks.

Trying the latest RC build may help.

http://dl.covecube.com/CloudDriveWindows/release/download/StableBit.CloudDrive_1.0.0.858_x64_Release.exe

Otherwise, it really shouldn't be doing that. It should shut down the service gracefully. 

You can use "services.msc" to stop the "StableBit CloudDrive Service" (not the "native" service).  This may take a while to complete, though. 

That said, if this continues to happen, enable drive tracing, and reboot. 

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_CloudDrive_Drive_Tracing

And could you run this:

http://dl.covecube.com/Troubleshooter/StableBit.Troubleshooter.exe