Recover Files Without mounting cloud storage?

athunt

Question

Before i use anything i like to know there are alternate ways to decrypt the data.

Currently you have to mount the drive against the cloud storage to get the data back. Can you manually copy all files locally into a folder and decrypt it that way? I read some old threads that it would be a future feature. Do I just mount a "Local" path and use the same passphrase to decrypt the data?

4 answers to this question

Right now, there isn't a way to do this.  You can move the data from provider to provider, but it must be the same provider. 

This is because each provider has a bunch of different requirements (based on provider requirements and "quirks").

However, Alex is in the process of writing the manual, and I believe that a lot of the relevant info about this should make it into the manual (if not, I'll flag it)

That said, decrypting the data will still leave you with raw disk data. Which would need to be pieced together/mounted anyways.

This is something I'd love to hear more about, specifically how we can recover our data if the CloudDrive software isn't available to us for whatever reason. Even if it's a tedious process, knowing that there's a manual procedure for piecing the data back together would make me feel enormously more comfortable with using CloudDrive for a lot more of my data.

Any idea when this kind of info would make it into the manual, Christopher?