Capacity calculator?

beatle

Question

I'm planning to start pooling all my old disks and turning on duplication, moving on from SnapRAID so I can more easily just add disks of any size to the pool.  Anyway, I'm banking on basically halving the capacity of all my disks to determine usable capacity, but I vaguely understand that it's not that simple.  FWIW, I'm planning to pool 3, 3, 3, and 5TB drives.

I'd also like to be able to see the "usable" capacity of the pool instead of the raw capacity when using duplication.  i.e., if I have 14TB of raw disk and deduplication is set for the whole pool, can it show me 7TB of usable space?

2 answers to this question

Drive pool will show you:

Free/duplicated space by drive, total pool capacity, Pool duplicated space, Pool unduplicated space and Pool free space. Here is a shot of my pool with 5x2TB WD Reds.  Default is 2x duplicateion with some folders set to 3x and some set to no duplication.  

post-2176-0-86585300-1489724098_thumb.png 

This topic comes up from time to time, and the answer is "No".

This isn't because we don't want to, but because doing so would INCREDIBLY complex, and potentially prone to more issues than the current approach. 

Specifically, because we allow the duplication to be different on EVERY folder, t here isn't a good way to calcuate it. 

Do we use the highest duplication value (which would significantly reduce the free space size)? Or the most common duplication value?  Et cetera. 

It's an incredibly complex thing. And the best option (we feel) is to report the raw capacity, rather than a calculated value. 

That said, if you're running 2x duplication everything, the data will use up twice the capacity on the pool, effectively halving the capacity. x3, reducing it to 1/3, etc.