Backup server to cloud drive, advice & suggestions?

dslabbekoorn

Question

My WSE 2012 set up works great, backing everyone of my 4 computers up each day and serving my media and software files across the network.  The only thing (other than an inability to have the client backup folder in the pool (sigh)) that I haven't yet set up is the server backup itself.  I would ideally like to set it up to backup to an offsite (cloud) file service.  I have almost zero experience with cloud backups and could use any advice you may have.  Can WSE 2012 be set up to back the server up to the cloud/  Which services are best/cheapest?  Any problems with using one?  I realize not having the server backed up is a big security risk and that reminds me, what about data security for the stuff sent out to the "cloud"?  I'd like to keep my data private as possible.  I would be backing up only the server installation/drive itself and not all my terabytes of data.  Any advice is apprecieated,  Thanks.

Dave

1 answer to this question

If you want to backup the data from your server, then I'd recommend using CrashPlan. It's pretty cheap, and basically unlimited capacity.

As for a recoverable server backup, no cloud solution is good. You're better setting up 2-3 HDDs for backup and cycling them offsite (like to a security deposit box, or something)

Also, Server 2012 Essentals supports backing up to Azure, but that's not exactly cheap either. (open up "Windows server Backup" in "Adminstrative Tools" in System and Security in the control panel.)