File renaming/folder freshing issues (beta *.740)

Beaker1024

Question

Using beta *.740 on WHS2011.  When accessing shared folder (on drivepool) via Win7Pro client I get an issue where the cursors focus keeping clicking and highlighting the entire filename when I'm trying to do a renaming event.

I'm also seeing issues with it saying the Folder (trying to rename folder) is open in another program "close the folder or file and try again".

I RDP into the server and did the renaming I needed to accomplish directly on the server (by navigating to DrivePool "G:" drive and doing it all there).  No issues of any type at all when doing it this way.

Any suggestions?  Something odd with my Win 7 client or is it the way DrivePool is working?  BTW I don't think I have the cursor focus / renaming file locked issues when I work on a local folder in the same Win7 client.

post-1814-0-07028800-1489427829_thumb.jpg

14 answers to this question

Strangely enough I just tried similar tasks (renaming folders) on a Win8.1 client and couldn't get the same issues or errors.  Now I went back to same shared folders again with the Win7Pro client and immediately am hit with the folder/file locked message (see attached screen capture in previous post) on almost very attempt to do something.

I'm running the same MalwareBytes version (v3) on both machines.  Nothing really different except the OS being Win7Pro for issues and Win8.1 seems fine.

I just went to try to downgrade to a previous Beta just to test but forgot I have to use Add/remove first then install version I want.  So that gave me pause and I'm now asking if there's any issue with going to back to another beta to see if this still happens.  I think I used these before: *.735  *.672  *.665  *.659

I know I used *.659 for a very long time and don't _think_ I had these kinds of issues.   I do like how the very latest betas handle the drive measuring and duplication passes, etc... GUI touchups are nice in them too!

There shouldn't be any issues with rolling back. 

And glad that you like the GUI touch-ups. :)

As for the issue ... could you do this:

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_2.x_Log_Collection

That said, is anything accessing the files on the server? Such as for indexing (eg, plex, emby, etc)?

Absolutely nothing new accessing the files that wouldn't have been for the last few years.  No Plex, emby or otherwise.  It's my "Pictures" share but likely same problem elsewhere (I haven't tested other shares).  Also I can switch between the clients doing same task (rename folder) and have:

Win7Pro client - issues

Win 8.1 client - no issues at all

Win7Pro client - Issues

all within a moment (as fast as I can change keyboards).

Seems consistant.  Should I try the following? I think I'll try reverting to an earlier Beta and if I have to the Stable release in the next couple days when I get time.

StableBit DrivePool Q7420208

From Covecube - Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Disable SMB caching

1. On the client having the issue , run the following commands from an elevated (administrative) command prompt:
    • "REG ADD HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanManWorkstation\Parameters /v DirectoryCacheLifetime /t REG_DWORD /d 0"
    • "REG ADD HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanManWorkstation\Parameters /v FileNotFoundCacheLifetime /t REG_DWORD /d 0"
    • "REG ADD HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanManWorkstation\Parameters /v FileInfoCacheLifetime /t REG_DWORD /d 0"
  1. Reboot the system

Have you got any Windows Explorer "enhancements" loaded?

I had one until recently that would try and display a thumbnail view of the file highlighted and if you tried to delete that file a lot of the time it would "lock" the file and i would get the same message about file in use.

Having removed the program the issue went away

As a test you could install something like File Commander as an explorer replacement to see if that has the same issues as Explorer

All - Thanks for the suggestions.

Chris - I tried the Login security settings and it didn't help any.

For some reason when I'm connected to the WHS2011 on the Win7 client it's like the explorer.exe is doing things in double.  Sometimes you see it by having a folder or file open as if double clicked when only single clicked (highly annoying).  While other issues are not visual until Win7 puts up the warning that it's already open.  Like my Win7 client is putting two handles open for the folder and when I tell the one to do the rename (or move) the 2nd hidden unasked for one is blocking it.

I think I read another thread on here where someone has the same exact issue a few months ago!

This is getting tiring.  I just leave this Win7 client for media center recording/watching, ocassional Adobe lightroom and pictures.

Haven't added any programs new (except upgraded to v3 from v2 of Malwarebytes).

Downgrading to *.672 from *.740 was a nightmare.  The *.672 drivepool couldn't remeasure (it also needed me to put in the license key again which worked).  Kept choking on the same *.wtv file leaving the bottom yellow bar at half way.  Tried a few times and went back to *.740 which had it's own scary moment when the list of HDDs was incomplete for a while with the wrong total.  Giving it some time and remeasure and it's ok again.

I am concerned though about the Win7 client having double actions for clicks and hidden handle for folders open only for Networked ones (local folders never have rename, move, etc issues!)

Edited by Beaker1024

Ruled out MalwareBytes all toghether (thought maybe driver filtering file opening folder/file or something).  Easy check: Quit it completely and attempt same steps and all was fine.

I think I "fixed" my double click when meant to be single click.  I have used the same beloved Logitech highend regular (not gaming) mouse for likely 7-10 years.  Found out this is a normal issues arising in mice. Either buy new mouse or try to see if mouse settings for a slow double click speed fixes it.

Bought a new one.  Initial evaluation seems that my computer is much better (for local actions) w/regards to the double click sending.

That leaves me with only one issue that is 100% LAN Client Win7 to WHS2011 (with DrivePool *.740 beta, although I briefly tested folder renames in *.672 and same error).

I need to find a way to clear up the double handle on the folder to I can rename/move folders again!

Edited by Beaker1024

I think I "fixed" my double click when meant to be single click.  I have used the same beloved Logitech highend regular (not gaming) mouse for likely 7-10 years.  Found out this is a normal issues arising in mice. Either buy new mouse or try to see if mouse settings for a slow double click speed fixes it.

Bought a new one.  Initial evaluation seems that my computer is much better (for local actions) w/regards to the double click sending.

UGH.  Yeah, been there done that.  It says something that Logitech will send you a new pointing device (mouse/trackball) and doesn't require you to send the old one back....   (Mine was under warranty). 

Basically, they know they're using shit parts and don't give a fuck. 

But I have had to replace 3 different Logitech Trackballs for this EXACT issue. I went out and bought a nice ELECOM trackball instead.

That leaves me with only one issue that is 100% LAN Client Win7 to WHS2011 (with DrivePool *.740 beta, although I briefly tested folder renames in *.672 and same error).

I need to find a way to clear up the double handle on the folder to I can rename/move folders again!

Grab logs then: 

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_2.x_Log_Collection

Also, 

http://homeservershow.com/windows-7-rc-x64-whs-password-conflict.html

ALso, on both the client and server, check the device manager and disable any option that has "checksum" or "offload" in the name. 

And on both systems, try running: 

netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=highlyrestricted

And then reboot the systems. 

These changes may help with the issue you're seeing.

Did some interesting testing.  I have conclusively verified that the Folder lock (preventing moving or renaming) is 100% a DrivePool issue. 

I simply created a new Share on the WHS2011 that is pointing to a folder structure completely outside of the DrivePool and every single folder move/rename within that share works perfectly and fast.  No issues.  Within a few moments I attempted move/renames for folders within the DrivePool (through a share connected by same client Win7Pro machine) and consistant issues.

Attempting to test new Beta *.742 (previous was *.740).  It completed it's first measure but had duplication inconsistent message so I started a duplication check.which completed fine.

Drum roll..... *.742 still has same issue with Folder being locked by another process preventing moving or renaming.

I did the Password conflict "fix" which didn't help any (BTW That is a LAN setting so no issues leaving it at the new parameter? I'd like to set it back to default but they way they wrote that option set you can't go back to no choice.).

I tested the NIC advanced parameters for Offload & Checksum parameters set to disable.  That didn't help.

The DrivePool Data folder has no log corresponding to this issue (Service Log only has the balance work nothing for timeframe I'm testing folder moves).  The Encrypted Error log files don't even have one for this month.

I"m happy knowing that this is 100% a DrivePool issue.  Please don't take it the wrong way but I'd rather it be that than my WHS2011 OS is buggered up or the Win7Client PC is messed up for any type of network share file access (proved it's OK with non-DrivePool today).

With that known.  I'm going to listen to my wife and stop messing with it.  If an update comes that fixes that's great.  Otherwise it's the Win8.1 machine for me to do any Folder renaming/moving.

FIXED!!!!! [Well it's a work around honestly]

I have to eat crow.  Many apologizes It's definitely not a DrivePool issue.  It was just more pronounced (only happening on sever shares not local drives) and I found fault in my test of the folder share outside of the DrivePool.

Also years of just using normal settings and DrivePool handling my shares made me complacent and too fast to look at it.

So here's the fix from taken from a 2011 post at "SevenForums.com"

[Note: Only needed to do this on Win7 client]

OK, here's what works for me:

1. Explorer/Tools/Folder Options/View

2. From 'Advanced Settings' (list box in View tab), check the 'Always show icons never thumbnails' check box and click 'Apply'

This works for me. The reason given to me was that that if you set Explorer to display thumbnails, it will automatically open all of them in the folder you are viewing. The 'program' that has them open is MS Picture Manager.

The downside of not displaying thumbnails is that your pictures won't display automatically. You will have to right click on the file and select 'Preview'

Hope it works for you

It's the Darn Thumbnails that did it.

Only questions are: what changed in last few months to have them be a hangup when years of same programs and usage had no issues?  Why does Win7 Eplorer have issue and Win 8 Explorer doesn't working on same folders?

It's the Darn Thumbnails that did it.

Only questions are: what changed in last few months to have them be a hangup when years of same programs and usage had no issues?  Why does Win7 Eplorer have issue and Win 8 Explorer doesn't working on same folders?

You don't know how hard I laughed at that (and how much it hurt to do so.... surgery yay). 

Because, OMFG, IT'S ALWAYS THE F***ING THUMBNAILS. ALWAYS. 

As for "what has changed lately?" I think there may have been an update that changed their functionality, as I've been noticing more issues with them lately, myself.  

And I think I can forgive you for blaming DrivePool, we can both agree that Thumbnails is one of Microsoft's worst designed "features". :P

If anyone isn't running the latest CPU while still using Win7 you might want to try this.  Since just turning off thumbnails and forcing icons only my computer feels 3x faster for everything!  At least for any explorer actions anywhere (local or LAN) it's super fast.  It's amazing.

Chris - The only setting that I can't seem to revert back to default (before working on this issue) is the one from the Password conflict fix:

Run secpol.msc
Drill down through Local Policies | Security Options.
Find Network Security: LAN Manager authentication level.

Set this Send NTLM response only (It is blank by default in the x64 RC)

Ok so I did a quick research on this setting and found: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj852207(v=ws.11).aspx

After reading that I'm wondering if I should mess with the parameter to be NTLMv2 on all my clients and somehow on the WHS2011? 

Or just leave it alone. 

Well, glad to hear that the system feels faster! 

As for the security thing, if you check the "explain" tab, it lists what the default should be for your oS. 

For Windows 7 and Windows Home Server 2011, it should be set to "Send NTLMv2 responses only". 

Otherwise, there isn't really a way to "unset it" (in fact, "unsetting" it can cause problems, which they have).