XP Support?

Kayot

Question

What keeps DrivePool from running in Windows XP pro sp3?

I'm asking because I have an ancient server running on Ubuntu Server 13.10, but I can't get any answeres on why aufs dosne't show the proper free space. So I was considering putting XP on it (It's a Compaq SR1115CL with one gig of ram), and saw that PoolHD claims support for XP. I thought DrivePool was a .Net application, and so I'm just wondering why it won't work in XP (I haven't tested it yet)

5 answers to this question

Kayot,

The main thing that keeps DrivePool from running on XP is the driver we use for the pool.

And as for what keeps us from writing an XP driver for DrivePool is that XP has exited mainstream support in 2009, and it's hitting End of Life in almost six months:

http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?p1=3223

(April 2014)

By the time we have a fully stable version, the OS will cease getting even critical security updates.

Bummer. It was a tight system too. Mainly due to age. It would be neat if MS developed their OS's on old equipment to ensure a fast OS on new equipment. Locking Server 2008R2 and later to x64 really killed the old system install base.

Thanks for the Answer. I tested PoolHD and I was not impressed. It looks like it's time to trash the old system and use my current system as a server. I dislike the obvious For Tablet Design (Somewhat mitigated in Server 2012 R2), 7 isn't aging as well as XP did in the same period of time.

Maybe, but security was a nightmare on XP. Very easy to exploit. :(

But that's also part of why Server 2008R2 and up are x64 only. It's more secure, and can address significantly more RAM.

As for the "tablet" feel, I personally use Start8 on all of my Win8/Server 2012 boxes to get the old start menu back. It works very very well, and just feels much better.

And as for aging... Computer hardware made a HUGE leap in XP's era. And what they had to work with starting out was .... crap. But now, even the low end systems are 1.x GHz dual core CPUs with ~2GB of RAM, and a reasonably fast HDD.