EVO 960 and (possible) bad sector?

johns

Question

Drashna!

We've never met but you've been helping me for over 10 years, starting back in the HP EX470 days where your name in a forum thread represented a glimmer of hope.  You're also the reason I went with Drivepool and most recently, gave Scanner a chance.  I get how products are developed, but Scanner just seems like a different piece of software from a different company.  Drivepool is so clean and simple to use and Scanner is, well, not (IMHO).  

I installed it the other day and cannot get past this error for my NVMe Samsung Evo 960. I installed the drive months ago when it came out and it has not really given me any issues (besides an offset alignment issue using the Samsung cloning software which I fixed with a reformat and clean install). I've been using HD tune, Samsung Magician, etc., but I cannot get rid of this error code in Scanner. I read this post and tried what you suggested to no avail.

http://community.covecube.com/index.php?/topic/2661-hard-drive-errors-next-steps/

The "damaged" file has changed since the other day when I scanned the drive. Do I really have an issue and if so, what? It just doesn't seem right. I really want to stay away from a reformat as the motherboard doesn't allow Windows Server installs and it was kind of a pain to get up and running. 

post-4729-0-41082900-1489121468_thumb.jpg

post-4729-0-41078100-1489121470_thumb.jpg

Essentials 2016 is the OS.  Thanks in advance! 

John

3 answers to this question

First, try installing this version: 

http://dl.covecube.com/ScannerWindows/beta/download/StableBit.Scanner_2.5.2.3124_BETA.exe

And then you can force it to rescan the "damaged" sectors. To do so, double click on the drive in question, click on the 4th button down on the left side (it should have a green circle), and select "mark unreadable sectors as unchecked". 

If the issue comes back, then there may be a problem.   In this case, try accessing "\ProgramFiles\CLink4\Service_trace.0.log" and see if that has issues.  If it does, then there definitely is an issue with the drive. 

Another thing to test is the "Burst Test". Right click on the drive and select this option. Let it run overnight (or longer) and see if that comes back with any errors.  If this does, then there may be a communication issue with the disk. 

That took care of it. I wonder what happened? Oh, well, it makes me feel better going into the weekend knowing I don't need to deal with it. I will still run the burst test for peace of mind. 

Thanks as always and have a great weekend! 

John

Likely, a "geometry" issue.  That's a big part of what that build fixes.  

Specifically, some firmwares do some really weird things and give us some data that isn't entirely accurate about  the drive's geometry (sector size, number of sectors, capacity, etc).  In fact, in this case, these drives normally come back with a lot of unreadable sectors.  Once "fixed", the issue goes away. 

Which sounds like what was going on here.