Best way to move a 18TB pool to new Server?

WHS_Owner

Question

Hi all,

I currently have a 18.6TB Stablebit Drive Pool consisting of 6 drives running on WHS 2011 on a HP N40L Micro Server. I have run out of spaces for new disks and need more CPU power so will be putting together a dual Xeon tower server.

The new Sever will have Proxmox running a VM of WHS 2011 on an SSD (rather than on the very old 120gb hdd in the N40L).

What is the easiest way to move the pool/files over to the new PC.

1) Do a fresh install of WHS 2011 & Stablebit Drivepool, then remove one drive from the N40L, install in Xeon Server, make new pool, copy as many files as possible, repeat till all drives are done - very time intensive!

2) Fresh install of WHS/DP - move all drives over, would Drivepool see the existing pool and use it so I don't need to copy any files over?

3) Clone WHS (inc DP & any other software obviously) from the old 120gb drive into the new VM and then move all drives over, would Drivepool see the existing pool and use it so I don't need to copy any files over?

If anyone has done this sort of thing before or has any input please let me know. My number one concern is obviously not losing any files, but I also want to make sure I do it the best way to be time efficient!

Thanks for the help :-)

8 answers to this question

Hi,

So your fresh install of WHS/DP happily saw the Pool on the drives you put in from another Server?

Yes.

The software is designed SPECIFICALLY to handle this scenario without any problems.

The technical details of what happens is that the software (service) looks for new disks.  When it sees them, it checks to see if they're pooled disks.  If they are, then it recreates the pool with the available disks.  

So, no messing around, the software handles everything for you.

This was part of the initial design, so that system recovery would be as painless and simple as possible. 

I just did this on a new build last week. I moved over 17 disks for 30tb.. It worked great. Drivepool found everything. Just don't forget to deactivate your licence before you decommission your old server.

Yes, you do want to make sure you deactivate the license first. This frees it up to be activated on the new system without any issues.