Can't set SSD in SSD Optimizre

JasonC

Question

I upgraded to the beta DrivePool per your recommendation Drashna and now I cannot get the SSD Optimizer settings to stick, so my SSD is now just being used as any other disk. I've uninstalled, and reinstalled (the optimizer plugin), with reboots between.

I can make a change and click Save successfully exactly one time per running the DrivePool UI.  Subsequent attempts without restarting the app result in missing object reference errors.

6 answers to this question

Are you on a beta version of StableBit DrivePool, one before 2.2.0.700?

If so, there is a persistent balancing setting issue, and that sounds like EXACTLY what is going on here. 

Could you upgrade to this version and see if that fixes the issue?

http://dl.covecube.com/DrivePoolWindows/beta/download/StableBit.DrivePool_2.2.0.740_x64_BETA.exe

Okay.

The next time this happens, could you run this: 

http://dl.covecube.com/Troubleshooter/StableBit.Troubleshooter.exe

After doing this, try resetting the settings. 

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q2299585B

If this doesn't work, try the alternative steps and see if that helps. 

Interestingly, I've noticed that I think the SSD optimizer is working, but I still can't actually set the option, and if I go look, it shows all disks as archive still.  I'm determining that just from watching activity on the disk and it looks like what I've seen in the past from the optimizer (writes are all to the SSD, eventually the space free on it goes back to a very low amount after increasing for a while, during use).

Just to verify I still have an issue, immediately after a reboot, went into the GUI, and checked the balancers. They all still showed Archive.  I set the SSD to SSD, and hit 'Save'. Everything looks good at this point, the menus clear. I return to the balancers and all the drivers are still marked "Archive".  I try to set SSD again,  but when I hit sav,e this time I get the object reference error.  I am running the trouble shooter and uploading while the error is up. I'll try the resetting process next and report back.

After performing the reset process, I'm happy to report that the setting now appears to be sticking, and not throwing errors on subsequent saves.  I will observe the behavior to see if it is working properly, the UI seems to be in good order now though.