DP not balancing to my archive disks

Roger79

Question

I am currently running out of Space on my NAS drives but I still have 1,5TB free on my Archive disks. I have tried to change som of the balancer settings without any Luck.  My Movies are spread over all of my disks, however I use placement rules to only allow iso's on my Archive disks.

Here is how it is set up:

post-2462-0-56341000-1488563554_thumb.png

post-2462-0-62841100-1488563555_thumb.png

post-2462-0-53163500-1488563556_thumb.png

post-2462-0-28203500-1488563557_thumb.png

post-2462-0-28448800-1488563558_thumb.png

Any help is very much appreciated :-)

12 answers to this question

I would prefere to keep everything in one pool. As I see it, if I make a second pool and the Archive drives are full, I'm not guaranteed that new movies are duplicated. The way it's intended to work now, the latest iso's are stored on the NAS drives if the Archive drives are full. The reason why I want to separate the iso's from the rest of the files is that the iso's are not likely to be changed in any way opposed to txt and jpg files. I'm using my Movie folder as a Source for Kodi and must keep Library files in the same folder.

I just installed the latest beta 2.2.0.734 and see the New feedback center.

post-2462-0-83199700-1488619414_thumb.png

Sometimes when I open the balancing setting I get the "Can't enumerate" error. I'm not sure what's the reason of this error.

I would prefere to keep everything in one pool. - OK

As I see it, if I make a second pool and the Archive drives are full, I'm not guaranteed that new movies are duplicated. Why would they not be duplicated? - settings are by the pool - so put the two archives drives in a separate pool and turn on duplication sorted? Or keep one pool with duplication?

The way it's intended to work now, the latest iso's are stored on the NAS drives if the Archive drives are full. The reason why I want to separate the iso's from the rest of the files is that the iso's are not likely to be changed in any way opposed to txt and jpg files. Sorry dont see how that affects anything other than drive running time

I'm using my Movie folder as a Source for Kodi and must keep Library files in the same folder. - Kodi only see's the pool drive which presents the files as windows would - it cant see the poolpart directories across all the disks. For example Plex and Emby have no problem with this and neither should Kodi - if you have had problems in the past then that was for other reasons

As for the new error - not seen that before - Chris might have a clue when he gets to this thread

Have fun

It seems like me and you spider isn't on the same page here... Let me explaine:

If I were to make a second pool using my Archive drives, this would act as a backup pool only. No duplication within the pool it's self but some sort of syncronization between the first and second pool(as far as I know it's not possible to apply duplication across pools). The reason for this is that the drives are Seagate's Archive 8TB and should ONLY be used as a Cold Storage, NOT for general usage which excludes storing files that are expected to be changed or deleted (jpg txt nfo etc) on the drives.

If I were to use the second pool With Kodi, it would not be possible to use "nfo files only" for my Library, and because of this Kodi's library would not look like I want it to. I know there are other ways of using nfo files but for me it's not an alternative.

I hope you now understand why my pool is set up the way it is.

Another issue I would like to address is that there's no detailed report from DP that can guide us when problems With the balancing occur. It would be much easier to fix things ourselves if we knew the reason for why things happen the way they do.

In my situation it would be great if DP could tell me why it can not move iso's to my Archive drives instead of telling me there's not enough free Space in the pool, which is not correct.

lol you add extra info and explanation only after i point out what you could do 

i have three of those archive drives and you can use them as normal drives just dont expect the speeds of a full fat 8TB drive - they have can be written to like any other drive

Setting up a duplication between pools is easy with something like syncbackse/pro and as you say is not a feature of DP itself

You would use you first pool with kodi as thats where your movies are??? or are you still ripping your dvd' and blu-rays to iso and storing them that way and/or accessing them that way with Kodi?

Yes the error reporting leaves a lot missing and why data x is being moved to drive y

Those screen shots show disk2 data being moved to disk 3 - i think you said disk2 is an archive drive?

I assumed data was moved from disk 1 when it says -241 and to disk 2 when it says +241. The pop-up info appear below the drive.

I have allready returned one archive disk because of normal/heavy writing activity by DP. It was less than a year old when it broke. I have read a few forum posts about these Archive drives and made a decision to use them as a Cold Storage only.

Iso's rule :rolleyes:  :D I'm not converting to video files.

Ok it was not clear which drive was which

ok fine we will see if you are correct in a years time if mine fail

Ha old school :)

You can save a lot of space and have a better experience if you do rip and / or remux the video files - just ripped two Blu-rays (LOTR - extended edition 30GB for each file same movie split over two disks - joined together - remux'd to h265 file size went from 60GB to 12GB :) no loss of quality and plays fine. 

Have fun