Samsung 850 pro 128 gig smart issue

Bluetac

I was wondering if this is a blip or not, the drives are installed in my server 2012 r2 essentials and have never given me any issues ,
I am not 100% sure but i am guessing it is to do with the samsung magician software as i had previously had rapid mode enabled. however it appears to be glitchy with the new version on this system. I am guessing that this would explain the 26%  .
Or should i actually be worried at this point in time?

stablebit%20scanner%20drives%20view_zps3

850%20pro%20smart_zpsccmq77ya.png

perfect%20disc%20server_zpsiwkobbli.png

smasung%20magician_zpsdirqqwjw.png

Server motherboard is supermicro X10sat

Chipset
  • Intel® C226 Express PCH
SATA
  • SATA3 via PCH w/ RAID 0, 1, 5, 10
  • SATA3 via ASM1061®
Network Controllers
  • Intel® i217LM + Intel® i210AT Controllers
  • Supports 10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, and 1000BASE-T, RJ45 output
Audio
  • RealTek ALC1150 High Definition Audio
  Input / Output line_yellow.gifSerial ATA
  • 6x SATA3 (6Gbps) ports via PCH
  • 2x SATA3 (6Gbps) ports via ASM1061®
  • Total of 8x SATA3 ports (6Gbps)

The ssd is plugged into the channel 0 of the PCH controller, all chipset drivers are current 

CPU is the core I1 4770s 

16 gig of ram (none EEC) corsair 

If you need any other info  please let me know

Other tools , perfect disk server's smart reporting says all is fine  and samsung's magicians tools report all is well too.

Just looking as the written data and there is no way that this is correct, it is the server os drive and has only ever been used as such 
All the shared folders are stored on other drives this is just the OS . my concern is that i go threough the trouble of an RMA to find the stablebit scanner is not using samsungs reporting software 

Using non-manufacturer specific interpretation rules.

smart%20data_zpsjzq9s2mm.png

The life for your ssd is 150TB 

so 15Tb per year

you are well under per year

My 2012r2 is very chatty with its disk at about 4tb for 4-5 months

If you look in scanner there is an almost constant read/write going on - i have yet to find the culprit(s) even with search turned off

The LBA written *may* be off.  In many drives (especially SSDs), this information is not passed on normally and does require interpretation. 

But given the ~3.5 years, if this is a system disk, then 30TBs isn't unreasonable.  

Spider99 is right about the system being very "chatty". Specifically, the page file is heavily used, and this may account for a majority of the writes. That said, temp files are written a lot. And if this Essentials, then you have logs written to the system disk every day. 

Thank you Spider99 and Drashna for your help, that makes sense about the page file. I will swap out the ssd and move the page file off of the ssd .

Drashna are there any plans to implement the manufacturer interpretation rules in a future release/update ?

You're very welcome! 

As for the rules/interpretations, yes.  We do this periodically, and "on demand". But this is a rather time consuming process. 

And SSDs are notorious for obfuscating the data. Meaning that the data may not actually be correct until we put it through a "filter". 

You're very welcome! 

As for the rules/interpretations, yes.  We do this periodically, and "on demand". But this is a rather time consuming process. 

And SSDs are notorious for obfuscating the data. Meaning that the data may not actually be correct until we put it through a "filter". 

Would i be right in saying that the 26.3% is the amount of reallocated sections that has been used of 100% available for use?

The "26.3%" value is based on the range for the value.

This is actually covered in the manual, though not in great detail:

http://stablebit.com/Support/Scanner/2.X/Manual?Section=S.M.A.R.T.%20(Self-Monitoring,%20Analysis,%20and%20Reporting%20Technology)%20details

Baically, the shorter the value, the worse it is.  

That said, any number of reallocated sectors is too many, IMO.  Especially with an SSD. At that point, it's time to replace the drive, because the NAND is probably already failing. 

I have contacted samsung and they have been given the various screenshots of their samsung magician V5 tools that they have asked for, I have also provided the ones from stablebit scanner. I do have another  ssd 256 gig new 850 pro i had bought ready to migrate to 2016 essentials. so i can always do a bare metal restore onto it. I dont want to pull it just yet incase they want more info .

I will let you know what they say, but either way i will be swapping it out.

Thanks again for the feedback and advice.

By the way the disc has a 10 year or 150tb warranty, the main reason i went with the pro over the evo drives 

Just had a reply back from samsung 

Dear Doug,

Thank you for your reply.

We checked your SMART data and they are fine.
We do not know how other tool checking out SSD.
Samsung Magician was designer for Samsung SSDs.

In case there is something wrong with the SSD SMART will show fail

At Magician, SSD is under controlled and send the pre-alert.

Thank you very much and a pleasant day.

For further questions please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best regards

Natalie Dubrov
Technical Support Center