Need Help. LSI SAS 9207-8i Hangs at boot!

PossumsDad

Question

Any help would be appreciated. I have recieved all of my new parts & the server is running great. Except my LSI SAS 9207-8i will not let the computer boot.

I get to the first few lines of the LSI screen and all it does is have a flashing cursor.

I have tried all 3 PCI-E x8 slots. No good. If I remove the card then windows boots normaly.

Any help would be appreciated.

Phil

10 answers to this question

Is it a new card or a used one

If used it may well have some firmware setup still in the bios of the card

If you search on flashing the card (most LSI are flashable) you could reset it and that may help get you to boot

If you have a new ish m/b then it should be UEFI capable so you can boot to that - flash the card and reboot and hopefully the pc will boot

If its new you might have a faulty card - do you have another pc to try it in?

I have flashed my 9211 recently so have the steps to flash it - but it might be different for the 9207 (i guess it will be similar)

The card is brand new.

The motherboard is brand new also. It is a Asus Prime z270-A. I updated the bios on the motherboard to the latest bios but no go. The board is UEFI capable. The Asus utility used UEFI to flash the bios. I've never used UEFI to flash firmware with.

Unfortunatly this is the only computer with the slots capable of handling this card. I do know that the firmware on the card is dated 2014. Hopefully flashing the card will help.

If you have directions that would be super helpful.

Thank you

P.S. The LSI tries to load before the bios of the motherboard. So because of this the computer locks up at this time. I cannot enter the bios of the card.

Phil

Ok my directions wont help if you cant get to the m/b bios

One thing to check in the m/b bios is the boot order - it could be the lsi is trying to boot and as there is not bootable disk you get dead lock

I suspect you can fix the boot order as the card will not be loaded when you are in the bios

Try disconnecting everything from the card.  See if it boots up.

If it fails to boot with nothing attached, then try the card in a different system. See if it works there. 

If the card still has issues, you may have a lemon (DOA) card, and you will want to return/exchange it. 

I feel like a complete idiot. I didn't wait long enough for the card. After 1 or 2 minutes the card said initializing. Then it found my drives and all was good.

I've never had a hard drive controller card take that long to initialize but now I know. This motherboard has 3 PCI-E x16 slots. I tried all 3..

BTW the card with the Intel SAS expander is fast.. No complaints. Hell I had to buy a new keyboard for the new computer. The old keyboard was too slow for the motherboard to see it every time.

I have my Pool back up and running. Sorry for being dumb.. lol

Thanks guys for the help..

Phil

I just timed how long it takes this card to get going.

When the card shows up on the screen it takes 1 minute 30 seconds to start initializing.

It finds all of the drives 20 seconds later.

Then the bios info for the motherboard shows up.

I hope this is normal..

Please let me know..

Thanks

Phil

Ah, yeah, it can take awhile...  So this is very normal. 

Now, you know why sysadmins HATE rebooting...   (Especially .... Amazon :P). It can take a while to complete... an in some cases as long as 10+ minutes!

That said, there are a few options to fix this.  If your motherboard has the option to disable "interrupt 19" or booting from add-on cards, it may help here. 

EIther way, glad to hear that the card isn't faulty and that it's just ... slow.