Auto retry

WBadminUser

Question

7 answers to this question

No, but you can reduce the frequency at which this may happen. 

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_CloudDrive_Advanced_Settings

"CloudFsDisk_MaximumConsecutiveIoFailures" and increase this to "8".

The caveat here is that this happens "for a reason" and increasing the value can increase the likelihood of system lockups (due to Windows waiting on IO requests).  

Unfortunately this did not help. There is at least one unmount a day.

Peaking at the logs i couldnt really tell "why" its happening.

Did  this reduce the frequency at which it was occurring, at least? 

As for why this is happening, there is a limit to the number of critical IO errors that we will allow in the software.  This is over a specific window, specifically. 

This is done because Windows is very, very sensitive to IO issues.  If we delay too long, it can (will) cause the drive to lock up. And it can cause the ENTIRE system to lock up.  Obviously, this is not desirable.  

You can try increasing the advanced setting to see if that helps. Or you can disable it outright by setting it to zero "0".  However, this may cause the above issues (the system to freeze).  

That said, could you open a ticket, and then run the StableBit Troubleshooter? 

http://dl.covecube.com/Troubleshooter/StableBit.Troubleshooter.exe

I still think it's a good idea to have auto reconnect.  

The way this would work is still to have the same setting for failures in the config, and to let it disconnect as normal.  We then want it to essentially click the retry button, maybe an hour or two later after it was disconnected by itself... I don't see how that will cause the system lockup, compared to if I was to manually click the retry button.

What's everyone's thoughts on this?

Edit: Also, I think recommending that people up the CloudFsDisk_MaximumConsecutiveIoFailures WILL make their system more flaky, because there will be guys that put unrealistic values in there to try and get around the disconnect, where they actually just need a auto reconnect in x hours setting.

The problem with an auto-reconnect issue is that it is a work around for another issue, and it actually may introduce a separate issue, as well. 

Specifically, the issue that is causing the disconnect should be addressed.  If it's an intermittent issue that is causing it, upping the Max Consec failures setting may help.  Yes, it may make the system more flaky, but that depends heavily on the system and what is going on. Increasing it a bit (which is always what I recommend, and recommend against disabling or setting to a high value) may prevent the issue outright.  (To be honest, I feel that the 3 failures in 120 seconds is too low, and may be problematic itself, but Alex feels otherwise, and since he's the developer)

The problem with an auto-reconnect feature is t hat now you have the "USB problem", where the drive can disconnect and reconnect at any time, and without feedback or intervention from a user. 

This would SIGNIFICANTLY increase the chances of a partial write failure.... meaning that your disks could show up as RAW or worse.