DrivePool Prevents Write While Disk is Missing

Diablosblizz

Question

Hi,

I've been a long time DrivePool user and love the software, but I recently noticed something that I'm not sure was intended. I have one bad disk that frequently keeps disconnecting from the machine. I have replaced the disk, but the damn thing keeps disconnecting, I just haven't looked into it further as doing a "Scan for Hardware" in Device Manager usually brings it back.

Anyways, I noticed that when the disk is missing I cannot write or delete files from the DrivePool disk (in this case M:\). If I try, I get an error message stating that I need permission from Administrators on the local machine. I almost went nuts trying to figure out the permissions within Windows thinking something was wrong, simply because the Administrators group on the machine was the owner of the drive and all subsequent folders. Reads from the drive still work as expected. I can replicate this by finding any drive in Disk Management on the machine, right clicking and then clicking Offline to turn off the disk (at least in Windows). Once I bring it back online, it works again.

Is this intended? As mentioned, I almost went absolutely crazy trying to figure the permissions out. The thing that made me look at DrivePool was that if I rebooted the machine, it usually worked for a little while before disconnecting again. I tried transferring files, and at roughly the same time I got an email stating the drive was missing which made me think maybe it wasn't permissions. As soon as it was back online, I could write to it again.

If it is intended, is somebody able to walk me through why this it is the way it is (I'm sure there is a good reason for it), and if it's possible to disable?

Thanks!

3 answers to this question

Hi

yes it is intended as your pool is essentially degraded - you have lost files/ broken duplication etc - so DP prevents further writes - i.e. becomes read only until you restore the missing disk - if it did not you would potentially have a more significant problem with inconsistent files/corruption etc

I dont think you can disable this as that would be a very bad thing to do.

Much better to fix the drive going missing - i had a ssd disappear intermittently and it was a loose sata cable that was not fully home in the socket although it looked like it was. Also it could be the cable that's the problem or the socket on the motherboard/controller. I would swap the cable and check the connections are secure and fully home. The original disk was probably fine :)

Hi

yes it is intended as your pool is essentially degraded - you have lost files/ broken duplication etc - so DP prevents further writes - i.e. becomes read only until you restore the missing disk - if it did not you would potentially have a more significant problem with inconsistent files/corruption etc

I dont think you can disable this as that would be a very bad thing to do.

Much better to fix the drive going missing - i had a ssd disappear intermittently and it was a loose sata cable that was not fully home in the socket although it looked like it was. Also it could be the cable that's the problem or the socket on the motherboard/controller. I would swap the cable and check the connections are secure and fully home. The original disk was probably fine :)

Thanks for the explanation.

The original disk was a refurbed unit from Seagate, either way no harm done.

As for the lost files, I have duplication on so no files would be lost, although after you explain it I do see how that could be a problem in the sense that if one drive was lost DrivePool would have to constantly duplicate your files over and over.

Thanks for the explanation.

The original disk was a refurbed unit from Seagate, either way no harm done.

As for the lost files, I have duplication on so no files would be lost, although after you explain it I do see how that could be a problem in the sense that if one drive was lost DrivePool would have to constantly duplicate your files over and over.

The other problem is that if data is writable when there is a missing disk, that it may only write to ONE of the copies.  

This would allow the data to get out of sync, and could cause issues.

To avoid this issue, we set the pool as read only. 

And spider is right, replacing the disk or otherwise fixing the issue is the best option here, as this frequent disconnecting can actually lead to data loss, in the long term.