size of drive - few questions

soupy

Question

Hey everyone 

Please excuse my inexperience with encryption & the cloud.

I am testing with ms one drive, What is the reason for the size of the drive? If I have unlimited through amazon cloud drive does it matter what size I make that drive?

How do I open the encrypted files?

Thanks

11 answers to this question

The size of the drive does not matter as you can just resize. I believe the reason for the size is that Windows would have issues if the space was unlimited and there is a max limit in Windows. 

When you create a drive it will mount itself as NTFS and you can read it just like a normal drive and the driver will handle the rest so it will be seamless. 

The size of the drive does not matter as you can just resize. I believe the reason for the size is that Windows would have issues if the space was unlimited and there is a max limit in Windows. 

When you create a drive it will mount itself as NTFS and you can read it just like a normal drive and the driver will handle the rest so it will be seamless. 

okay thanks, I been testing different software and I like stablebit cloud even more with the built in encryption, If I need to download an encrypt file how do I open it though?

Also if my space exceeds 10tb I assume I would create another drive?

You will not be able to go on Google Drive to open an encrypted file but need to use the software, it will be like a regular file you can copy to your system or open directly in the drive depending how big your cache is. 

Cache is used to keep a copy of stuff you regularly access locally. 

10 TB can be extended more depending how much you need, for example I set mine to 100 TB. And you can create new drives if you want for each type of data. 

I actually thought the same I don't use cloud drive but seeing that many users are losing or having trouble with large drives if it is possible why not make 1tb drives or less combine them to one pool then when the errors start one would think the loss would be minimal but I haven't used cloud drive and don't know if that's even possible just an idea

The 10TB limit is not a limit. It is the max size listed by default. You can type in any size up to 1PB, actually. 

However, NTFS does have a limit here.  The size of the "allocation unit" (aka "NTFS cluster") limits the size of the volume you can use.  For simplicity, I'm just gong to link another post I have about this:

http://community.covecube.com/index.php?/topic/2490-any-way-to-make-a-drive-bigger-than-10tb/&do=findComment&comment=17197

But basically, the largest size volume (not disk) you can have is 256TB.  After that, you have to create multiple partitions on the drive. 

This does not apply to ReFS though, as it's limit is ... YB (Billions of PB's). 

As for resizing, if you run into errors, let me know.  

Ist it possible to make a raid-5 drive with a few cloud drives? (StableBit Cloud Drive installed on Server 2012)

Does it make sense?

Are there advantages or disadvantages?

You could use Storage Spaces, or Dynamic disks to do that.

Or ... (shamelessly) you could use StableBit DrivePool to pool the drives together.  :)

This way, you can have the multiple partitions or disks even pooled together into a single drive (pool). 

And (even more shamelessly) if you want to do that, grab the StableBit Bundle, as that basically gets you StableBit DrivePool, and StableBit CloudDrive, with StableBit Scanner for free. 

Hey Christopher! In the interest of not creating another topic for my related question... I'm currently trying to resize my 10TB Google Drive (around 500GB used space). I clicked on the resize option 2 hours ago, and I'm still at the screen that says "One moment..." Is this normal behaviour? How long does it take? Thanks in advance :)

Hey Christopher! In the interest of not creating another topic for my related question... I'm currently trying to resize my 10TB Google Drive (around 500GB used space). I clicked on the resize option 2 hours ago, and I'm still at the screen that says "One moment..." Is this normal behaviour? How long does it take? Thanks in advance :)

Well, we query VDS on information, so that may take a while, but 2 hours definitely seems excessive. 

Though, it may be worth trying to open Disk Management and see if you can shrink the drive there.  If not, or if it has the same issue, then this is a disk/google drive related issue.

In either case, it may help to do this:

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_CloudDrive_Drive_Tracing