Drive Missing and Duplication

Spider99

Question

Though i would report some good news as forums tend to be all doom and gloom :)

Last night i did some maintenance on my main DP server and as part of that i removed all the drives

All went well and i replaced the drives booted the server - checked i could see the shares - and went to bed

This morning i logged in to see that one of the drives was missing (had hit the on off switch in the enclosure during the removal/reinstall)

During the night DP had re duplicated the data on the remaining drives :)

I powered up the missing drive and approx 30 seconds later DP picked up that the drive was back :)

During the night a backup had run from another server but not moved off the ssd cache drives - i guess as pool in read only mode as drive missing?

First DP did a remeasure - then a re balance (emptied SSd cache drives) - then a dup consistency test and then a duplication run(manual run) - the last is slowly reducing the duplication total :)

So in a little while i should be back to x2 dup rather than 2x+ for the 3.7TB which was on the missing drive

Also interesting that rather than "just" empty the missing drive - easy option - it appears to be trying to follow the SSD Optimiser rules (don't have any other plugins other than scanner)

Once its finished its duplication run i guess it might do a re balance - will wait and see :)

Impressed it's almost seamless :)

1 answer to this question

Yes, the pool goes read only when there is a missing disk.  This is to prevent corruption/sync issues with files. 

And yeah, balancing settings are always maintained, whenever possible. :)

And glad to hear that that it is working "as expected" and handling everything for you. :)