Auto-Retry Connect to CloudDrive

rbutler81

Question

Hi there, looking for a little help.

I'm wondering if there's an option to have CloudDrive attempt to automatically reconnect to a drive that's lost its connection.

In my case, I have a server that I run CloudDrive / DrivePool on. 

I used CloudDrive to map a drive on the server to a network shared folder from another computer on my LAN.

This mapped drive is part of a Pool on my server.

The issue is that occasionally CloudDrive loses the connection to the other computer - and won't reconnect until I manually tell it to in the CloudDrive interface.

Is there a way to have this auto-attempt to reconnect at some time interval?  This would be great if there was.

Also, what would be the best settings for a clouddrive connected to a local network share?

Do I need prefetching? I've never used it and not sure how to set it to speed things up.

Thanks!

13 answers to this question

Technically, it does this already.   

However, it does unmount the drive if there are too many errors detected in a short period of time.  This is to prevent the system from locking up, as Windows is VERY sensitive about I/O errors. 

That said, you can increase the threshold for this to happen.  But when you do so, you increase the chance that the system will lock up when there are communication errors. 

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_CloudDrive_Advanced_Settings

And the setting is "CloudFsDisk_MaximumConsecutiveIoFailures".  The default is "3", but you can set it higher. (I wouldn't recommend above 10 though)

One issue I continually have is that once the connection is dropped, I have to logon and manually click the retry button and it will reconnect the disk. If there was a way to automate this action without manual intervention, that would be awesome. Maybe set it to retry the connection every 5 minutes or so?

There isn't a way to do so, right now.  We'd need to implement something, at best. 

However, if the system is having issues with that specific CloudDrive disk, then re-mounting it may not be a good idea (at all). 

Still, the best option here will be  to increase the number of errors that can occur, so that it doesn't knock the drive offline in the first place. 

This particular CloudDrive I was having disconnection issues with was connected to a UNC path on my LAN - connecting to a hard drive on a different computer.

It may have been disconnecting because the computer the CloudDrive was connecting to was going to sleep. Clicking re-connect may have woken it up and allowed it to reconnect.

I don't know the specifics, but I know certain network traffic can wake a sleeping computer. Does this include a new connection attempt to a shared folder?

It seems like it does... and it seems like an open connection without the right kind of activity lets that computer go to sleep.

Just a theory.   :)

Anyways, what I did to solve this was take out the hard drive I was connecting to across my LAN and added it to the computer hosting the DrivePool... now I don't have a need to connect a CloudDrive across my LAN with a Windows File Share.

Ah, okay. 

If there was no activity, then this could happen.  And once it "pings" the system again, it could wake it back up (depending on how it's configured), so that would definitely be normal. 

In this situation, I'm not exactly sure what would be best here, so I've created a bug ticket for this. 

https://stablebit.com/Admin/IssueAnalysis/27361

Though the best option may be to disable sleep on the system in question. Or schedule it.

If you can actually get the log files from the system, it would be very helpful.

http://dl.covecube.com/Troubleshooter/StableBit.Troubleshooter.exe

Set the "contact ID to "F2572", and select "StableBit CloudDrive" for the product. And let me know when you've uploaded the logs.

Hey, sorry I just saw your reply.

I've since changed my setup so that the drive I was connecting to via Windows File Share is now physically connected to the computer I host the DrivePool on - no need for me to use CloudDrive for getting that particular drive in the pool.

Would the log files still have info about these events? It's been a few weeks now since I made the change.

If not, I can add another share from the same computer and wait for it to happen again.

Honestly, it's probably because you're watching and waiting for it to happen.

Aka, the "tech support effect" (nothing go goes wrong when tech support is looking at the system). 

That, or it may have been due to an update to the system that fixed code that was triggering this to occur.