Adding drivepool to a existing setup?

smuggly

Question

3 answers to this question

You can migrate to DrivePool very easily. And no, DrivePool never alters existing data on a disk. In fact, when you add a disk to the pool, it doesn't take complete control over the disk. It lets you use it as you were.

And no, there is no need to reinstall to use DrivePool. You can just install it, and start using it.

However, if you wish to migrate your data to the pool, just add the existing disks to the pool. And then move the existing data into the newly created, hidden "PoolPart.xxxx" folder in the root of each drive, and then it should show up in the Pool right away.

After doing that, you'd want to run the "WSS Troubleshooter" and use the "Rebuild DrivePool Shares" to use the pooled folders instead. 

http://community.covecube.com/index.php?/topic/254-adding-drivepool-to-a-existing-setup/&do=findComment&comment=1582

I think I've answered everything there. If I haven't, or if you need further clarification, don't hesitate to ask.

Regards

Once you've added one drive to a new pool, a "new" disk will appear. That disk will have the combined capacity of all the disks added to it. 

However, your other disks will still remain, and be accessible.

Once you've added the disk to the pool, it creates a hidden "PoolPart.xxxx" (where the x's are a long string of letters and numbers, called a GUID). If you move the contents of the disk into this hidden folder, they will appear on the pool immediately.

Aside from that, there shouldn't be anything else that you would need to do.