Need some help troubleshooting

saitoh183

Question

I migrated a friend to windows 10 a few weeks ago and he had DP installed on WHS2011. I reinstalled DP and the pool came back up. Now the problem...At first 3 drives kept going missing and wouldnt come back up till i restarted the machine. This actually killed a 2TB drive and caused bad sectors on a brand new 5tb we had just put in.I ended up figuring out that the problem was the PCIE sata card. So i removed it and replaced it with a mediasonic probox.

Now i thought all the problems were fixed but now every time i go into the balancer options and into placement, the GUI stops responding, The pool becomes inaccessible, the DP service hangs on stopping if i try to stop it. and if i try to restart the machine windows hangs on the Restarting message( stayed there for 2hrs) and i am force to use the power button to restart. When i restart the PC stays on the windows logo and it spins. I am letting it run a bit to see if it will pass but i have also rebooted a few times until i got it to start. I think it is one of the drives causing the issue but i was thinking that maybe the DP logs could shed some light. Scanner seems to not see anything out of the ordinary.

So how should i proceed to get the logs?

6 answers to this question

i do see in the event viewer a warning :

Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort0, was issued.

To get the system back up, i had to unplug the sata cable of a single drive and then boot the machine, windows booted into diag mode and then once it was done i restarted again. this time the machine went straight into windows. Then i shutdown, plug back in the sata cable of the drive, turn on and the machine when back in normally...i have had to repeat this exact same pattern twice in order to get back in.

can you list the hardware you are using?

i assume you have done the obvious of changing the sata cable?

Is it any sata port that when you unplug it allows you to boot into windows? - if specific one then - possible hw fault

Have you updated all your drivers etc - not just let windows update do it

Have you stress tested the controller(s) via scanner or another test program

Is the pSU working well inside its range and is it old? 

Are any pcie cards correctly seated in their slots - are they getting over hot?

Over to you :)

can you list the hardware you are using?

i assume you have done the obvious of changing the sata cable?

Is it any sata port that when you unplug it allows you to boot into windows? - if specific one then - possible hw fault

Have you updated all your drivers etc - not just let windows update do it

Have you stress tested the controller(s) via scanner or another test program

Is the pSU working well inside its range and is it old? 

Are any pcie cards correctly seated in their slots - are they getting over hot?

Over to you :)

Specs:

Operating System
			Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
		CPU
			Intel Pentium G620 @ 2.60GHz	
			Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
		RAM
			16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 667MHz (9-9-9-24)
		Motherboard
			Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. Z77X-UD3H (Intel Pentium CPU G620 @ 2.60GHz)	28 °C
		Graphics
			SyncMaster (1920x1200@59Hz)
			Intel HD Graphics (Gigabyte)
		Storage
			3726GB Seagate ST4000DM000-1F2168 (SATA)	
			1863GB Seagate ST2000DL003-9VT166 (SATA)	
			2794GB TOSHIBA DT01ACA300 USB Device (USB (SATA))	
			1863GB Seagate ST2000DL003-9VT166 (SATA)	
			55GB Corsair CSSD-F60GB2 (SSD)	
			4657GB TOSHIBA HDWE150 (SATA)	
			931GB TOSHIBA DT01ACA100 (SATA)	
			2048GB Covecube Virtual Disk (SCSI)
			1862GB Western Digital WD My Book 1230 USB Device (USB (SATA))	
			4657GB TOSHIBA HDWE150 USB Device (USB (SATA))	
			1863GB Seagate ST2000DL 003-9VT166 USB Device (USB (SATA))	

There are no pcie cards

Sata bale hasnt been changed yet but it was my thought of doing so when i go over there.As for a specific cable or not, i dont know as i only had the problem twice and the second time i was remotely connected and my firend had decided to unplug the same drive instead of another. if i can replicate the issue, we will unplug another drive.

All updates are dont, i went to the sites and did them all and even made sure the bios was at the latest, which it already was. The PSU is not old but can i test the range?

If i understand correctly you have 5 HDD on sata and one SSD also on SATA - you also have 4 USB drives  - are all the drives except the os drive in the pool?

The sata being the onboard Intel Sata controller and the Marvell controller - do you have the intel RST drivers loaded (Chris has reported some are seeing problems with it loaded - not seen it myself)

Double check all power and sata connections are fully engaged.

Is the PSU a good make and whats its rating?

Is the ssd on port0? 

i do see in the event viewer a warning :

Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort0, was issued.

To get the system back up, i had to unplug the sata cable of a single drive and then boot the machine, windows booted into diag mode and then once it was done i restarted again. this time the machine went straight into windows. Then i shutdown, plug back in the sata cable of the drive, turn on and the machine when back in normally...i have had to repeat this exact same pattern twice in order to get back in.

This my friend was a nasty problem that plagued 2 of my clients machines and got me 2 weeks to finally fix it, its random in nature and a great bugger, destroyed 2 ssd's from both client machines with bad sectors.

Its a Windows 10 specific problem, you must disable Fast Boot and PCI Express / Link State Power Management in Windows Power Options. Do them both and this nasty bugger will disappear.

1526844273443938480.png

8228.image_4518089D.png

This my friend was a nasty problem that plagued 2 of my clients machines and got me 2 weeks to finally fix it, its random in nature and a great bugger, destroyed 2 ssd's from both client machines with bad sectors.

Its a Windows 10 specific problem, you must disable Fast Boot and PCI Express / Link State Power Management in Windows Power Options. Do them both and this nasty bugger will disappear.

1526844273443938480.png

8228.image_4518089D.png

I will give that a try :)

If i understand correctly you have 5 HDD on sata and one SSD also on SATA - you also have 4 USB drives  - are all the drives except the os drive in the pool?

The sata being the onboard Intel Sata controller and the Marvell controller - do you have the intel RST drivers loaded (Chris has reported some are seeing problems with it loaded - not seen it myself)

Double check all power and sata connections are fully engaged.

Is the PSU a good make and whats its rating?

Is the ssd on port0? 

Silverstone Strider Essential ST60F-ES 600W Power Supply ATX 24PIN 120MM

as for the SSD i dont recall