CloudDrive problem

TigerLilov

Question

Hi, I have ordered and tried to work with the CloudDrive, but despite my fast connection, after I upload some 20+ Gygabytes on the Google Drive, the speed for copying/transferring through your software decreases in many ways. I am attaching a short video showing my struggles to copy and play a video file from my TV collection on the cloud drive: https://my.pcloud.com/publink/show?code=XZevNwZKTzH4X4qE84KqqQk9ByWA7LIHxjyPlease, help me to resolve the problem.

10 answers to this question

You've posted a ticket about this already, and I've responded there.

But this appears to be two separate issues.

The first appears to be an NTFS permissions issue. Manually changing them should fix the issue.

The second may be normal depending on the cache size, the connection sped to Google Drive, and the prefetching options. But jumping around in the file may cause issues regardless. At least until we can "buffer" the data.  That said, the prefetcher should grab the data in advance of when it would be requested, for sequential access (eg, watching a video without jumping around). 

That said, increasing the cache size, increasing the prefetch settings and/or increasing the number of read threads may help out here. 

Thanks for writing! I have fixed the permissions, but it's still quite slow. I tried another tool called NetDrive2 and the speed is good enough to play video files directly from the Google Drive cloud. With your software, I still cannot do it. I have two SSD discs with over 300GB free space and I have put a cache of 50GBs for the virtual drive on one of them. Trying to copy a 1GB on this or any other drive continues to be painfully slow, despite my fast Internet. The straight playback also causes a problem and it freezes every 2-3  seconds or so. I have attached the log in the instructions you provided. Please, help me resolve the issue as I believe your software should be the best.

I suggest you lower the Prefetch trigger to just 1 MB (something smaller), this because the software you use to play video files probably won't buffer in 40MB at once as that would probably be pointless on a local disk. You might even need to tweak some settings in the video player as well to have it work really well. Consider using VLC and/or something else just to see if there's differences. Try to show the CloudDrive interface as well when playing the movie, it should be possible to deduce if it's fetching chunks as you're playing the video in a sustainable way.

From what I've read I haven't been able to understand if you have issues uploading as well, care to clarify?

For fast connections it is also recommended to increase the minimal download size, so you can utilize your speed to get more data pr. thread. To change this you would have to detach and reattach your drive

This is my settings with no lag with plex:

20 MB chunks and 20 MB minimal download

1 MB prefetch

400 MB Forward (20x20 MB)

1000 Time Window

20 Download Threads

10 Upload Threads

1 gbit/1gbit line, so these might not be good for you, bit they give you an idea on how to increase speed on high speed lines

For fast connections it is also recommended to increase the minimal download size, so you can utilize your speed to get more data pr. thread. To change this you would have to detach and reattach your drive

This is my settings with no lag with plex:

20 MB chunks and 20 MB minimal download

1 MB prefetch

400 MB Forward (20x20 MB)

1000 Time Window

20 Download Threads

10 Upload Threads

1 gbit/1gbit line, so these might not be good for you, bit they give you an idea on how to increase speed on high speed lines

Gonna try these settings, at the moment it has worked fine but it pauses to essentially buffer which is what i am trying to fix. Have you tried to access to videos at once via plex? I am curious how the performance is to access multiple vids

Gonna try these settings, at the moment it has worked fine but it pauses to essentially buffer which is what i am trying to fix. Have you tried to access to videos at once via plex? I am curious how the performance is to access multiple vids

i can play them fine without buffering. they only take 6 seconds to load

but the 20 MB minimal download was important for me, as 1 MB chunks would cause too slow a dl.

i can play them fine without buffering. they only take 6 seconds to load

but the 20 MB minimal download was important for me, as 1 MB chunks would cause too slow a dl.

Alternatively, you can manually increase IoManager_DefaultMaximumReadAggregation in the service config file - by default its set to 1MB. This will combine consecutive 1MB downloads into larger requests (ie. while prefetching), while leaving smaller reads at 1MB. That way you can get the benefit of fewer API calls/larger downloads, without suffering the extra overhead of increasing the minimum download size on smaller.

Here's some clarification on what it does: https://stablebit.com/Admin/IssueAnalysis/27309

Alternatively, you can manually increase IoManager_DefaultMaximumReadAggregation in the service config file - by default its set to 1MB. This will combine consecutive 1MB downloads into larger requests (ie. while prefetching), while leaving smaller reads at 1MB. That way you can get the benefit of fewer API calls/larger downloads, without suffering the extra overhead of increasing the minimum download size on smaller.

Here's some clarification on what it does: https://stablebit.com/Admin/IssueAnalysis/27309

Nice i think i will try to combine my current setup with that, as i have a lot more bandwidth to utilize and I were just waiting for 100 MB chunks. This way i can increase it to 100 MB this way :)

Nice i think i will try to combine my current setup with that, as i have a lot more bandwidth to utilize and I were just waiting for 100 MB chunks. This way i can increase it to 100 MB this way :)

Seems this only works up to the max chunk size. IE. you can't get multiple chunks, but only get multiple parts of a single chunk

You should use the "Minimum download size" setting (when creating or attaching a drive) before using this advanced setting.   

The Minimum download size is configurable per disk, while the other is global.   And if this value is set too high, it can cause performance issues. 

Seems this only works up to the max chunk size. IE. you can't get multiple chunks, but only get multiple parts of a single chunk

Correct.   

Basically, you can't put more water into a bucket than it can actually hold.  

But again, as above.  Use the Minimum Download Size, as this setting should do the same thing, effectively.