Duplication on backup server - is this possible?

defcon

Question

My main server is running out of drive bays and capacity. I want to have duplication enabled on everything. I can't upgrade all the drives to larger sizes. I can reuse another pc as backup server and in that case I will have to turn off duplication on the shares since I see no way to have Drivepool duplicate across the network. And the backup server would have its own Drivepool. Is there any other pssible solution? 

How do you move disks from main server? I can turn off duplication, then 'remove disk' so all files are migrated off it. But then I will have to copy all the data back once the disk is in the 2nd server which is a lot of redundant copies. What I'd ideally like is to have a set of physical disks with duplicated data which I can then remove and move to 2nd pc and start a pool. 

5 answers to this question

To clarify, the data is not duplicated already, but you want to enable it.

But the other issue is that you don't have enough room on the pool, and no space in the case to add more disks? 

Correct? 

If thats the case, "external" may be the way to go.

There are plenty of USB/eSATA enclosures that support 4-8 drives and can easily expand your storage.

That said, .... it's a lot more expensive, and may be rather load. 

As in $300-500 not counting drives. But SAS is an enterprise technology and can get a LOT of disks connected.

If you're interested in this, let me know.

But StableBit CloudDrive is another solution. 

If you have another system, and access to Windows Server, you could set up iSCSI, as well. 

To clarify, the data is not duplicated already, but you want to enable it.

But the other issue is that you don't have enough room on the pool, and no space in the case to add more disks? 

Correct? 

If thats the case, "external" may be the way to go.

There are plenty of USB/eSATA enclosures that support 4-8 drives and can easily expand your storage.

That said, .... it's a lot more expensive, and may be rather load. 

As in $300-500 not counting drives. But SAS is an enterprise technology and can get a LOT of disks connected.

If you're interested in this, let me know.

But StableBit CloudDrive is another solution. 

If you have another system, and access to Windows Server, you could set up iSCSI, as well. 

Yes, current data is duplicated, but I am close to capacity. So I have 2 choices -

1. add external storage via enclosure etc

2. add a 2nd server which will be a duplicate of the main one

#2 gives me a lot more options as I have 2 servers now and room to grow on both. The problem of course is that I can't then use DrivePool for duplication. Or are you saying that if the 2nd server is an iSCSI target then I mount it as a drive under DrivePool? That will also require both to be on at all times right?

#2 - yes they have to be on at the same time

Another option is setup both with DP and use one as the main and the other as backup - depending how you want your backup to work - the backup server could be off most of the day - only coming on for the "sync" - you would not need duplication on either - one copy on each - giving you more space. - or some combination of dup and backup

To sync you could use robocopy, syncbackpro or any other reasonable backup solution.