Moving files from disk to disk - the best way?

HPLovecraft

Question

Hi All,

I'm back again with another potentially stupid question... The 'Pool on my home server contains the usual household shared folders: Documents; Pictures; Music; Videos - accessed from various client PCs, Plex on the Roku, Squeezeplayers etc. There are four HDDs in the pool, all files have 2 x duplication.

Because I'm a bit anal (and because I've been burned in the past) I use placement rules to force my folders onto the exact disks where I want them. So Documents & Pictures are duplicated on disks 1 & 3; Music & Videos are duplicated on disks 2 & 4. This allows me to ensure my files are duplicated on two different brands of HDD (a year or two ago a pair of Seagates that I bought at the same time, failed at the same time, teaching me a valuable lesson...).

Anyhoo, my Videos folder is getting very fat, so I'm a bit low on space on disks 2 & 4. No problem, I'll just move all my Music onto the same drives as Documents & Pictures (1 & 3), where there's plenty of room. How best to do this?

• My initial thought was to simply change the placement rules for the Music folder, and let DrivePool get on with it.
  • But is there any benefit at all in shutting down the DrivePool service and moving the folder myself? Then restarting DrivePool and changing the placement rules to match what I just did? A bit like the manual way we pre-seed drives? Unlike my pre-seeding, I'd be moving the folder onto two entirely different physical drives...

Told you it was a potentially stupid question!

cheers, Simon

3 answers to this question

Thanks for the reply Christopher - reckon I'll leave it to DrivePool, simply so I can walk away and leave it to work without any attention.

I had to move a ton of files at work the other day, and did it in Windows Explorer. I went back hours later and found a dialog box awaiting my response!

cheers, Simon