Drive failing, backedup to new Drive, how to add new and remove failing from Pool?

puulima

Question

Hope this makes sense...

2 days ago StableBit Scanner and WHS 2011 reported that a drive was failing....and a brand new 6TB WD Red drive of all things!

So I shutdown the server, physically removed the drive and backed up the data to another 6TB drive.  I mostly backed up the Server Folders that I don't have duplication turned on for - as the duplicated server folders should be ok (dupe copies on the other drives) - correct?

So I was all set to add the NEW 6TB drive into the pool and then follow the instructions in this posting:  http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q4142489 to move the backed up data back into the pool.  If I understand that process, once I do that, all of the non-duplicated files should be back in the pool and DrivePool will do it's thing to re-populate the new drive with dupe copies of anything that was on the failing drive....

But then it hit me - I haven't removed the failing drive from the pool yet...it still shows as "missing" - so I'm guessing DrivePool won't actually start duplicating the dupe copies of stuff that was in duplicated folders on the missing drive until I remove it from the pool via the dashboard?

I don't want to screw this up - so what is the proper approach for this scenario I have?  Here's the facts summarized:

* 6TB failing drive ("failing") physically removed from the server and non duplicated folders backed up to a new 6TB drive ("new")

* NOTE:  I also backed up some other "more critical" folders that ARE in fact already setup for duplication in the pool - just in case (probably didn't need to do this - but figured that if I had as much of the duplicated files backed up, I could use the instruction in the link above to move the data from the backed up folders back into the pool once that "new" disk was added, and save DrivePool some work/time - is that a correct assumption?

* I have already added the "new" drive to the pool (ne with the backed up files noted above) and was about to go through the instructions in the link above to move that data back into the pool

* I still haven't removed the "failing" drive from the DrivePool yet

If you folks can please advise on the best way to approach this - that would be most appreciated.

Let me know if anything is not clear

LATE ADDITION:

- Forgot to mention I'm running WHS 2011 on an HP N40L.  AND since I had to do some work on this drive issues, I decided to take the time to swap out my external drive enclosure, install a NEW PCIe card (6GB/s eSATA card with 4 ports) and also upgrade my memory (none of which has anything to do with the drives) - BUT - I now have the origirnal eSATA port on my N40L free - as well as a second external eSATA port -

So it just dawned on me that I could drop the "failing" drive in a single external drive enclosure I have - plug it into one of the free eSATA ports - and then REMOVE the "failing" drive in the Dashboard - and let DrivePool do it's thing to migrate the data over to the "new" drive I added.

I only have about 2TB of data on the "failing" drive - and have about 3TB free on the "new" 6TB dirve (rest is the backed up data in a separate folder NOT in the "ServerFolder" - so not in the pool. So enough space to let DrivePool do it's thing - and worst case if something doesn't get pulled off the failing drive - I have the backed up data.

So this would seem to be the best approach based on what I've read - correct?

If not - let me know...

And then I need to update my version of DrivePool ;-)

12 answers to this question

Well, it is certainly what I would do if I understand you correctly:

1. Connect old 6TB HDD -> Pool should be OK and not report missing drive but you would have a drive in the Pool with issues

2. Connect new 6TB HDD and add to the Pool

3. Through DPUI, "Remove" old 6TB HDD and let DrivePool do its stuff.

It will take a while and I typically go into the DPUI and increase the priority (wish there was a setting to always let DP have high priority).

4. Physically remove old 6TB HDD. Perhaps destroy the data on it.

5. After you are comfortable that all is alright, delete the backup of the data that you keep on the new 6TB HDD.

OK, figured that was the best approach...  I'll google now - but I don't know how to prioritize DP?  I'm on version 1 which is integrated into the WHS 2011 dashboard...  If anyone had a quick response to that...great, otherwise will google.

Thanks!

UPDATE: Can't find anything on setting PRIORITY for DrivePool for version 1.x   :(

Can I change the PRIORITY of the DrivePoo PROCESS in Task Manager?  IE: it's currently running at NORMAL - can I set it higher?  (ABOVE NORMAL. HIGH or REALTIME)

Hope somebody can advise...I have the Drive Removal running...thanks

Few last questions:

- since much of the data on the "failing" drive is duplicated stuff, I'm assuming DrivePool will focus on moving the NON-DUPED files and (hopefully) not worry about the duped file - since those can be replicated from the duplicate copies on other drives?  So removal of 2TB of data where most is duplicated and little is NON-DUPED should go fast?

- how long should "Checking for files in use..." take for drive removal - given nobody is accessing any files on the server?  Haven't removed a drive in some time so don't recall...right now it feels like watching a boiling pot...

much thanks

ANOTHER UPDATE

- doesn't seem like anything is happening with the "failing" drive being removed...still says "checking for files in use".

- I took a look in the log file and it has the following entry repeated multiple times over the last 1.5 hours:

"DrivePool.Service.exe  Information   0   [FileBalance]  Starting to calculate ration.... " and then date/time stamps every 5 minutes...

Can't find anything on that message when googling...

Hope somebody is online tonight (8pm Eastern Time here) - as I need to get this cleaned up ASAP.  

Thanks!

Refer to my prior reply....but I needed to move forward and so I resorted to the instructions in this post (noted in my initial posting above):  http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q4142489

I COPIED the NON-DUPED folders into the PoolPart/ServerFolders folder (so I have a backup) and MOVED the DUPED stuff into the same (so DP shouldn't have to do as much work re-duplicating).  The tail end of the instructions the above link were a tad confusing - it refers to deleting the contents of the DrivePool Program Data folder and then rebooting the server in the linked item in #5 (for version 1.x) and then says to restart the service...but the reboot took care of that...so s/b ok right?

Weird thing is - I also purchsed a license for Scanner (was on the trial before) and entered that - and now my DrivePool says I need to purchase a license?  I did enter the activation code from my original DP purchase to get the discounted Scanner rate...and looks like the activation code for Scanner is the SAME as the original DP code?  So I pasted that code back into the DP activation code box in the WHS Dashboard and now it's activated again.  I'm guessing that is needed due to the data in the Program Data folder being deleted?

Other Weird thing is the original txt file I saved from my laptop to a Server Shared Folder (and the new sub-folder I created on the server when I saved that txt file) are gone.   Don't understand how that happened...makes me a little nervous.

Any feedback on any/all of the above steps/processes/results would be greatly appreciated...

Here my knowledge fails. IIRC DP1 does not have such I/O priority setting and if it does then I would not remember where. I use DP2.x with WHS2011 BTW. Yes, removing, duplicating, re-measuring, checking, it can all take a long time. In my experience, going to bed ussually makes me wake up to a solved situation. But you are hard-coring it now and for that I think you may need Christpher to help out.

What's the hurry? The Pool still works, you have a backup of the non-duped data etc.

Why the hurry? - Left on a biz trip this am...family anxiously awaiting the return of their media ;-)

So I needed to ensure it was back up and running.  When I left at 3am - it was duplicating and at about 8%, now (11:30am) it's at 94% but says "re-balance" - see screencap below.   Not sure why the re-balance message?  I don't see any errors or warnings/

Related question:  and maybe this is a DP 1.x issue?  DP isn't re-distributing files to the newest/large drive...it seems to be placing the files wherever the existing folders are...so while I have 3.66 TB free...I keep getting errors when copying new stuff - saying there's no room to copy to.  Once I delete a set of old files (a movie folder for example) - then I can copy.  And when I highlight the DrivePool - it shows most of the "free" space as unusable for duplication?  (see below)

How do I get DP 1.x to actually balance the files across all drives?   I'm guessing it would be best to upgrade to DP 2.x ultimately...not sure what that all entails and not back home for a week anyways.

Thanks for the feedback...

WHS_DP2.jpg

It should do so after awhile, automatically. And specificlaly, the "Duplication Space Optimizer" balancer is the one responsible for this. 

That said, you could install the "Drive Space Equalizer" balancer to force the pool to rebalance the data:

https://stablebit.com/DrivePool/Plugins

I downloaded that one locally, uploaded it to the server back home...now need to figure out how to install it remotely?  Also - looks like I can update my older 1.x version of DP to the latest 1.x just by clicking the update the add-in link form the Add-Ins tab?  Assuming I can do that at any time...or should I wait for the current balancing activity to complete?  Assuming I should re-boot the server after updating?

StableBit DrivePool 2.X doesn't have to ability to install remotely.  You need to log into the server and install it locally.

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_DrivePool_Q7200705

From there, you'll need to uninstall StableBit DrivePool 1.X first, and reboot. 

Then install the 2.X version, and reboot again. 

The first reboot is to unload the older driver and software, and the second reboot is to ensure everything sees the pool properly.

Thanks - I was actually only asking about adding the additional "balancer" you recommended - but I went ahead and setup full RDP access to my server via some manual port forwarding rules - so I can get in and do whatever I need now...very handy.

Is there any real risk/concerns to upgrading to 2.0?  Sounds like it's a pretty graceful transition...

So I added in the Drive Space Equalization balancer and now all drives have the same free space...so working nicely now.  Odd thing though:  I can't get to 100% for balancing...it was @ 99.9% and then after re-balancing as well as trying the "Check Duplication Consistency" - now I'm at 99.8%

There are no warnings or other messages - just a hyperlink to re-balance.  I read on some post that somebody reset the balances back to the default and that got him back to 100%, but not sure what that does?  I don't want the drives to en up being re-balanced back the way they were (all free space on a single drive) or anything approaching that.

Should I be concerned about 99.8% or 99.9% if there's no warnings?