"Presets" by purpose/configuration or current best-practice for untalented users?

joss

Question

Hi there,

I'm picking up my testing after 10 month again. I'm using Google Drive.

The whole thing with CloudDrive, chunks, I/O, throttling etc is wide wide wide over my head (the reason I trew it the towel last time) and I have trouble to track which tipps are out-dated by newer beta-versions.
It's all very confusing.

So - before I'm going to upload to my old drives or create new ones:

• are there a kind of best-practice-presets for different configurations (cloud provider, internetspeed, how much space can be offered for cache ...)?

• or "presets" for special purposes (i.e. Plex with many bigger files or music/photos or documents)?

In which cases should I alter the default settings while creating the drive (chunk-size) at all? When should I play around with the up/download-threads?

Tipps for sound practices are highly appreciated!

:)

4 answers to this question

I've been using Google Drive for over a year with almost zero issues. My internet connection is 100/30 and I've kept to 10/10 threads for download/upload as it doesn't cause GDrive throttling and seems to utilize my bandwidth quite optimally. It would be possible to increase this slightly if you so feel like it however, particularly for download, this just requires light experimentation.

Currently I'm using version 1.0.0.784 which is found here: http://dl.covecube.com/CloudDriveWindows/beta/download/

Small note: Me and possibly some others are currently experiencing some form of memory leak on this version, I can't however suggest a different version that doesn't have this problem as I've had some difficulty even determining its cause.

Changelogs are found here: http://dl.covecube.com/CloudDriveWindows/beta/download/changes.txt

It's probably a good idea to upgrade to the last version but it's also considered good practice to wait a while or download the second-to-last version to be sure that it's relatively stable. This is still beta software after all.

Cache type: This is possible to change after the drive is created but I would use: Expandable for the most part. Proportional cache when copying a lot of data as it automatically throttles (slows down the copy-process) to allow for continuous uploading while keeping the cache low. (Read the (I)nformation when making the drive.)

Storage chunk size: I would keep to the default if your connection is in the same range as mine. (This is the amount of data you are required to upload if you make a change to your data, basically)

Sector size: Keep at default 4 KB

Chunk cache size: Possible to change after drive is created. (20 MB is fine)

Everything else I would also just leave as default.

It could be an idea to create different CloudDrives with different settings for different types of media, mainly for different prefetching settings (streaming movies vs songs) and possibly Storage chunk size.

Otherwise it's considered best practice I would imagine to have your cache on a fast SSD/HDD. I also prefer to keep my cache as low as possible should any problems arise causing it to perform recovery on the drive (basically re-uploading the entire cache). I have mine set to just a 1 GB (default).

PS: These are just my own tips and I'm not affiliated with StableBit. Feel free to wait for others to make comment.

Hi Choruptian,

thanks for your time. That's interesting especially because your internet connection is similar to mine.

I already faced problems with the cache so I'll give your solution a try.

Do you use Plex with CloudDrive?
How large are your drives? Did you ever use checkdisk on them? 

Do you use DrivePool?

Zero issues sounds great ... I wish I will get to that very soon. 

I'm on 1.0.0.784, too, and have 3 older drives an 3 newly created - all sized between 2 and 4 TB,, and nothing seems to work. Auto-re-attching after reboot works only after attaching one drive manually. The others follow then. One drive was suddenly damaged, another vanished short after (I hope, it will appear after rebooting, but I have to wait with that), errors, I just don't understand what DrivePool is doing or not and what's its problem with the Pool Organisation; Plex doesn't stream more than a few seconds.

Maybe I did too much action at once by uploading into two Pools and it's better to work with one drive at a time (however I manage to do this while using DrivePool). I will wait a bit. If it's not getting better, I will try to complete uninstall and start over new. 

Zero-issue reports with bandwidth similar to mine and not only with 600/400 connections or somewhat fantastic keeps me going.

I've not used Plex with CloudDrive, no. (yet)

I've got a 100 TB for fun and a 16 TB that I'm currently operating with. I've used chkdsk with the 100 TB before to resolve an issue I had way back when. (This was with assistance from StableBit whom even fixed an issue with chkdisk, for me. ^_^ )

I don't use DrivePool, I'm guessing you're pooling together different CloudDrives and not using it as a cache.

I presume for Plex to work it requires a fair bit of advanced reading of whatever media is playing, it might be necessary to change settings within it. Otherwise it's just about adjusting the prefetch settings to allow for the same to happen. I presume you're not exceeding your own bandwidth by playing too high-quality movies or whatever. I think it would also be advisable indeed to operate with one drive at a time because the API limit with Google is connected to your IP and not account (AFAIK).

I should probably also mention that a memory leak was just fixed by the dev. in the latest release (http://dl.covecube.com/CloudDriveWindows/beta/download/changes.txt). It might be pertinent to install that if you plan to test streaming.

The default settings should work for most users.

The exception here is users with hign bandwidth (300+mbps) may not experience optimal settings. 

In this case, larger chunks and minimum download sizes may help here.

Also, there is a new public beta build that was released last night (1.0.0.802, IIRC), and that contains a number of fixes, including said prefetcher memory leak.