Some questions before I switch to DrivePool

JasonC

Question

Hello,

I've loosely followed DrivePool over the years, having been a WHS 2003 user for a long time back in the day. I ended up walking away from disk pooling for a while once disks became too large for WHS, until Storage Spaces arrived. I'm now 99% decided to leave Storage Spaces behind and switch to DrivePool, but I have a few quick questions I wasn't able to locate answers to easily in the forums:

1) I'm assuming that there are no problems using it in a (2016) Windows Domain given the Essentials support

2) Can I move pool disks between interfaces? Specifically, I'm in the process of migrating data right now, if I were to start a DrivePool pool with the first disk on USB, and later move that disk to a SATA interface (no slots available until I am able to pull failing disks), should this be an issue? It looks like not with the signature based disk ID, but I thought I'd ask.

3) There was a three, but I've forgotten it now.

Thank you!

2 answers to this question

1. Yup, as gj80 has said, no issues with 2016.  The release version (2.1.1.561) works just fine on it. 

2. To clarify, as long as the drive shows up as an NTFS disk, then there is no issue.

Some USB enclosures obfuscate data, and may cause issues, But these are fairly rare, so you shouldn't have to worry about this. 

Otherwise, you should have no issues moving between interfaces.

3. There are no limit to the number of disks.

Duplication is always a good idea, even for stuff you don't care if it gets lost (because you will, when it happens).

You should definitely get the StableBit Bundle.  It's DrivePool and Scanner, plus $5 for CloudDrive, basically.  Just the first two are worth it. :)

The Data Deduplication feature isn't supported, sorry.  

The cake is a lie.

If you think of more questions or remember the one you wanted to ask, don't hesitate to ask.