Optimize pinning?

Choruptian

Question

Would it all be possible to optimize the pinning engine for directories, it's quite determined to only download one chunk+offset at a time. I looked into MFT optimization but I'm not sure how much it would help and I wonder if it's enough to just use a program like TreeSize to scan/traverse all the directories so that in effect it would be picked up from the cache when it hits. Reason for nagging: It's taken 1.5 hours now just to traverse my 200 GB of data now.

4 answers to this question

There is an option to "pin directories", this tries to keep the folder structure in the local cache to boost the directory enumeration times. 

This is under "Drive Options" -> "Performance" -> "Pinning"

There is also an option to pin drive metadata, which is usually enabled.

That's the option I'm talking about. I want it to be multithreaded or boosted at least. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

It would make things easier if the chunks that are downloaded for pinning directories were closer together and then use prefetching for boosting. I'm not sure if that's the right step to take however (MFT optimization).

Well, for the download/upload for this, it would be handled by the normal code.  meaning that it would be as multithreaded as the rest of the drive.  

As for "closer together", that entirely depends on NTFS.  But it should grab this data regardless. 

However, increasing the cache size may help out here.  Speaking of which, what is your cache size?

And if you're having issues with this, could you do this:

http://wiki.covecube.com/StableBit_CloudDrive_Drive_Tracing

It eventually gets all the data but it's only downloading 1 chunk at a time which only accounts for a small amount of files, relatively speaking. My cache-size is usually just 1 GB higher more than what the total amount required for all the pinned items. It's not a direct issue, it's just _very_ slow when you have a lot of files/directories.