Backups

dj4005

Question

I am curious as to what backup software/methodology that most of the people here use?

WHS11 has failed with the upgrade to Windows 10, and Windows Essentials while barely cost effective has gone over the edge with the upgrade to the 2016 version.

IS there a definitive software package that works with DrivePool as the pool size goes into the terrrabye realm?  Or are most people using NAS solutions.

I've turned on file duplication for now, but that's not a true solution.

Any thoughts, comments, or pointers to other conversations would be greatfully appreciated!

6 answers to this question

I currently use a NAS to backup my data separate from the duplication i have with DP

have looked at cloud backups but they take way too long and might not be there when you need them and most solution have issues with the provider limiting speed or your isp getting picky with you using too much bandwidth etc

to do the backup - i tried essentials 2012 but i found it to be a typical MS botch job so am using SyncBackPro and am going through all the options finding the right balance - used to use it years ago and got a nice discount to the latest version

it has cloud functionality these days so might give that a go again when i get the chance

Veeam End Point is what i use on my Pc's for backup and restore - you can use it on the DP box as well although install can be a challenge and have found if you turn off the DP service first it installs a lot easier - just turn the dp service back on after and it runs fine

I am curious as to what backup software/methodology that most of the people here use?

WHS11 has failed with the upgrade to Windows 10, and Windows Essentials while barely cost effective has gone over the edge with the upgrade to the 2016 version.

IS there a definitive software package that works with DrivePool as the pool size goes into the terrrabye realm?  Or are most people using NAS solutions.

I've turned on file duplication for now, but that's not a true solution.

Any thoughts, comments, or pointers to other conversations would be greatfully appreciated!

I have been using windows server essentials client backups (server 12r2 and now 16) of my client pcs without a hitch. None of my clients have DP, rather i have DP on my server that houses these client backups. In fact the primary reason i stuck with microsoft after WHS v1 was for the bare metal client backups.

On my server, i have tried using the built in server backup, veeam and crashplan. Basically since the DP pool drive does not do the VSS stuff, you have to run it on the native drives, which means if you are duplicating info, the server backup also gets twice the size!! Veeam despite claiming that it dedups was still making massive backups when i asked it run on the duplicated drives. Crashplan was so slow that i gave up on it. So what i did was run the server backup only on one of the two drives that makeup my DP pool and thus get backups but keep the size under control.

I use Crashplan, and I'm just finishing off my first full backup pass with Syncovery to Amazon Cloud Drive (ACD).

I just built out a new Norco 4224 server, which I have sitting beside my current one. Once the Syncovery pass finishes, I'm going to swap the drives into that and then put my current Norco 4220 offsite and run Syncovery sync against that as well. As Christopher said, I'm skittish about only relying on cloud backup. Besides, it gave me an excuse to upgrade my server! lol