Other files and Sys Vol Info

Spider99

Question

If you have a large amount of "other" files taking up space on your pool drive and would like to reduce the amount of "wasted" space then...

Warning doing this could stuff up you pc so go carefully and if it goes to pot its not my fault :)

Your friend here is the powershell cmdlet "vssadmin"

if you run the command via an elevated powershell window

vssadmin list shadowstorage

it will list your vss stores etc

and then run

vssadmin resize shadowstorage /on=[drive letter]: /For=[drive letter]: /MaxSize=[maximum size]

See http://woshub.com/how-to-clean-up-system-volume-information-folder/

for more details

got rid of 70GB+ of unneeded vss data for me :)

Enjoy

8 answers to this question

I just use the UI to do this. 

On client OS's (Windows 7, 8, 10), run "control sysdm.cpl" and open the "System Protection" tab.

From there, you can toggle the state, and delete the shadow copies.

on Server OS's, run "fsmgmt.msc" and find the "Configure Shadow Copies" option in the menus. 

In WHS2011, I'm pretty sure I can get there through the properties of the volume?

I turned them all off ages ago.

What I would like to be able to do easily is delete all the old files in the SIV folder but there are quite a few where I simply can not get access to (unless perhapsd I more the disks to another machine temporarly). I can not even set myself (or anyone) as Owner.

I just use the UI to do this. 

On client OS's (Windows 7, 8, 10), run "control sysdm.cpl" and open the "System Protection" tab.

From there, you can toggle the state, and delete the shadow copies.

on Server OS's, run "fsmgmt.msc" and find the "Configure Shadow Copies" option in the menus. 

Another option: On the server, i right click on any drive and i have a choice called "Configure shadow copies..." . From there i can change the shadow size.

On a different matter, I installed server 2016 and reinstalled drivepool and moved my drives (not physically as this is the same server box as where 2012 r2 essentials was) to the new server. I was able to redirect the essentials dashboard server folders to the drivepool drive. Setup backups and three computers are backing up fine. However after I added a standard user account to access the server, though it created a user folder with that name, from the client computer launchpad, i am unable to access the shared folders from the client computer. I get a "Windows cannot access \\xxxxserver\shared folders Check the spelling of the name.....Error code 0x80070035". When i looked up the network pathway in the server for the shared folder it is as follows: " xxxserver\users2\xxxname" (xxxname is the name i created for the user). The reason it is users2 is probably because the drive pool drives already had a user folder with subfolders from my previous server 2012 r2 installation i suppose. So my question is how do i force lauchpad to go to the users2\xxxname account when clicking on lauchpad? Or is this issue because i connected the client pc as a workgroup (using the skip domain function)? Thanks

@asdaHP:

It looks like the Shared Folders issue is a common one on 2016.... which is odd.

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/11755-windows-server-2016-essentials/page-3&do=findComment&comment=123872

You can always just use "\\SERVERNAME\ShareName" instead.

The reason the "Shared Folder" share was created was to hide all of the domain stuff (NETLOGON, SYSVOL, REMOTEINSTALL, etc), by using "DFS Namespace" feature of Windows Server. 

Administrators seem to not have an issue, but non-admins have this issue.