Frequent perplexing Heat Warnings

nauip

Question

One or more disks are overheating:

• WDC WD30EFRX-68EUZN0 ATA Device - 86˚F (Maximum: 32˚F)  <--- Am I supposed to keep these drives in a meat locker?

• Model: WDC WD30EFRX-68EUZN0

• Serial number: 2020202057202d4443573443324e4b50544c3831 <---  

You are receiving this message because you have set up email notifications to be sent to this address from the StableBit Scanner.

I suspect it's pulling the value from the Minimum operating temperature, but I immediately checked the drives and they were all at 82.x˚F.

7 answers to this question

Clearly. :P

Joking aside, this is an issue with the SMART query,  It looks like it's returning the temperature theshold as "0C", which would be the 32F.

Could you try installing the latest beta and see if that helps?

http://dl.covecube.com/ScannerWindows/beta/download/StableBit.Scanner_2.5.2.3122_BETA.exe

Otehrwise, could you do this: 

Click on the "Settings" button in the toolbar and select "Scanner Settings". Enable the "Show advanced settings and information" option, and hit "OK". You will only need to do this once, from now on, it will always display this option.
Click on "Settings", and select the new "Advanced Settings and information" option. Open the Configuration Properties tab. You will find a list of all the settings here, organized into section. Find the "Smart" section, and check the "NoWmi" option.  Hit "OK"
Now, you will need to restart the service, or restart the computer. To restart the service, run "services.msc" on the system find the "StableBit Scanner Service" and restart it.

It's been a little while. I was going to see if there was an update to the beta I'm using and checked this old thread. I've submitted the logs as requested.

edit: Hmm - you might advise folks to clear out old logs before some dunce goes and uploads a bazillion old (and likely useless) log files with this tool.

Anyway, I recreated the error so it should be near the end of the newest log file.

For the log files, the error reports are generally, VERY small.  And the service logs get cycled out every 7-10 days, IIRC.  So it doesn't keep a HUGH amount. That, and the troubleshooter actually compresses the logs prior to upload, so it should take up a relatively small amount of space.

And was this uploaded as part of a ticket? Or did you use the forum email address?

For the log files, the error reports are generally, VERY small.  And the service logs get cycled out every 7-10 days, IIRC.  So it doesn't keep a HUGH amount. 

- 6 x 20 MB log files and 1 in progress ~ 9 MB at the moment.

That, and the troubleshooter actually compresses the logs prior to upload, so it should take up a relatively small amount of space.

- Some people have very slow internet. I have decent internet, so... just sayin'

And was this uploaded as part of a ticket? Or did you use the forum email address?

- I used the same email address with these forums and my software registration. It was filled in on the Troubleshooter fields provided as was the url for this OP.

The service logs do get larger, yeah.   And the size is configurable, IIRC.   

But the error reports themselves are generally measured in the KB range. They point to specific code sections in the source code. 

Though, there are different options on what to collect.  And that can reduce what's sent. 

And yeah, we know that not everyone has awesome (or even decent) internet.  That's why we have the different options, and compress everything before transmitting.  

And now I see the logs.  Sorry for missing them!

I've flagged the files, so Alex (the Developer) can look at them.

https://stablebit.com/Admin/IssueAnalysis/27358